Ow! Neck and shoulder pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
Had to leave work early yesterday as was nearly bent double in pain from sore stiff neck on right side and sore right shoulder. Having got my jacket off in agony I got to bed and took strong painkillers and pain subsided. Bit better today but still sore and stiff...wonder if it's something to do with my bike position!? I'm 6'1 and ride a Cannondale XL hybrid. Would go to GP but takes days if not weeks to get an appointment.

More info' required, I think. If, like me, you (sadly) spend longer in front of a computer than on a bike, then the ergonomics of your work environment are just as likely if not more so to be a cause. Or at least part of it.

Have you changed anything recently that could have triggered it?

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
More info' required, I think. If, like me, you (sadly) spend longer in front of a computer than on a bike, then the ergonomics of your work environment are just as likely if not more so to be a cause. Or at least part of it.

Have you changed anything recently that could have triggered it?

Yeah job is computer based.

No changes other than an effort to sit up straight in order to increase oxygen flow...

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Closed down! If painkillers hadn't worked I would have gone to A&E such was the pain but as it seems to be better I won't bother - might book to see GP for next week anyway

vickster

Legendary Member
Pay to see a physiotherapist. Don't need a referral. GP will only tell you to rest and take painkillers.

Probably trapped a nerve sleeping oddly as you say or over stretching for something. Have you tried moving everything around while under a hot shower? Try doing some gentle mobilisation exercises for neck and shoulder

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Thanks Vickster - made a gp appt anyway - off for a hot shower now.

Mrs M

Guru
Osteopath would be my first port of call.
Had a few aches and pains since accident and plates in lower back.
Got so bad once I was struggling to walk and could hardly move my head, one visit to osteopath provided a huge relief and further visit a week later got me sorted.
Hope you feel better soon.

Top Bottom