Own up then, who's still watching in b&w ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pplpilot

Guru
When I first met mrs pplpilot she had an hand me down B+W portable and a betamax recorder, not long out of uni wanting to get onto the housing ladder and was making do till she could afford better, this was 10 years ago.

SD1

Must be hard sourcing the valves needed to keep the telly going.
I think they may be telling whoppers.

I bet those that do still patch their own inner tubes, for enviroment reasons.^_^
Or.......to save money.....or so you can find where the puncture is and match it to the tyre and find the cause. If you have gone that far you might as well repair it put the spare in and make that one the spare.
I don't know why I bother I got 10 used (no repaired punctures) from Edinburgh cooperative for £3.50. Oh I remember why I am saving the planet and tight arse to boot.

SD1

A ex-work colleague of mine has no television and hasn't had one in twenty years.
He gets (on average) 4 threatening letters and a couple of visits a year from the TV Licensing people demanding money or access to his property so he can "prove" he doesn't have a television hidden somewhere. He views this as great sport :laugh:
They never demand access to my property. Get one visit a year and they are always very courteous. They could come more often as not in that much during the day. I might tell them I have now TV. Nahh why bother. Although I must agree the letter are, to put mildly very threatening.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I thought you didn't have to if you are homeless? And what would you plug into?
@SD1 is now on my ignore list :angry:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
They never demand access to my property. Get one visit a year and they are always very courteous. They could come more often as not in that much during the day. I might tell them I have now TV. Nahh why bother. Although I must agree the letter are, to put mildly very threatening.
They've knocked on my door once in 13 years (to my knowledge)... but i still get the little threats of court action, and the big threat of 'your property is now under investigation'... I often wonder how their investigation is going, especially when i write 'return to sender' on their letters and pop them back in the post.

The thing that I find weird is that while a B&W TV licence costs £49, a colour TV licence is £72.75 if you are blind. I.E. Just listening to a colour TV (or watching blurred coloured blobs moving around on a screen) costs more than watching a B&W TV. Obviously this is some artefact of them increasing the licence fee when they brought in colour TV, but that was nearly 50 years ago, so they could probably dispense with it now.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don't get letters or visits anymore since, around last Christmas, they finally found me home.
The flat was a bomb site, had new flooring fitted, the contents of 3 rooms in one, there was a kitchen sink in the hall, the tiler was working in the bathroom.
The tv inspectors knocked, made a funeral face " tv licensing here" like "so sorry you have been caught".
Well, I never have had a tv for years, so I showed them in no problems.
They hurriedly left after they tripped over the workman's tools, then the cat hissed at them.
Staring at an empty living room and at a room full of bikes they said "have you never had a tv then?" :laugh:
No more threatening letters since!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The thing that I find weird is that while a B&W TV licence costs £49, a colour TV licence is £72.75 if you are blind. I.E. Just listening to a colour TV (or watching blurred coloured blobs moving around on a screen) costs more than watching a B&W TV. Obviously this is some artefact of them increasing the licence fee when they brought in colour TV, but that was nearly 50 years ago, so they could probably dispense with it now.
in the 90s i was living with a blind lady, she received something like a £2.35 reduction from the full fee due to being registered blind, then they made it half price.

Brains

Legendary Member
I also have a mate with no TV (or computer), who also gets the threatening letters and visits.
My next door neighbour is the same, no TV or phone (and also no bathroom!)

I wonder what percentage of properties in the UK don't have a TV licence (and therefore one assumes the majority don't have a TV either)

SD1

I wonder what percentage of properties in the UK don't have a TV licence (and therefore one assumes the majority don't have a TV either)
I wouldn't assume anything. I can plug my TV Ariel any time I want. They can't get in without a warrant. Not really enforceable if people choose to watch and not pay.

Top Bottom