Owners of Gas Guzzlers Pay More to Park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
I tended to use the car for longer work journeys, particularly if transporting large hearing files. When I changed jobs, I got rid of the car as I only did about 600 miles in it in the previous year - and these could have been done (albeit with some inconvenience) by other means.

It's cheaper to hire with that kind of mileage.

It can't be done overnight but I'd like to see far more measures to wean us off the idea of private motor transport. It's destroyed our towns and cities, damaged the health of the population, and concepts like increasing freedom are an illusion.

I for one never want my freedom to travel restricted by the severe limitations of public transportation. While I do try to minimise how much I use my car and I support any effort to promote smaller more efficient cars, I can't ever seeing a time where I could do without one.

StuartG

slower but further
While I do try to minimise how much I use my car and I support any effort to promote smaller more efficient cars, I can't ever seeing a time where I could do without one.
Without one - or without the USE of one?

Around here Car Clubs are a real choice. OK London leads but other conurbations will follow. The major objection is cost & risk. This is an issue as paying for hire means shouldering a share of fixed costs of car ownership for every hour you use. It brings up sharp the costs you ignore as a car owner when you decide to drive down the supermarket. In fact knowing the true cost of car travel may further decrease your use ... and with one club car replacing, say, 10 parked cars - it could help liberate our streets from being clogged by a semi-permanent pile of junk narrowing the roads, bolcking views and making cycling and walking less pleasant.

Oh and making roads better for motoring too!

GilesM

Legendary Member
Evidently. But neither this nor VED is large enough.

It can't be done overnight but I'd like to see far more measures to wean us off the idea of private motor transport. It's destroyed our towns and cities, damaged the health of the population, and concepts like increasing freedom are an illusion.

Won't happen under this government, but a big business rates levy on customer parking places would help as well.

And what would happen to the small rural business that relies on tourist arriving by car, places that most people never visited before the private motor vehicle became avilable to the masses.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Looks like the policy in Richmond is being reversed http://www.richmonda...arges_scrapped/

Good thing to imo.

A quote from the opposition in Richmond:

Councillor Stephen Knight, leader of the opposition, said: “I think it’s very sad the Conservatives have chosen to abandon a policy, which sets Richmond as a national leader in tackling climate change, and shameful that the effect of this decision will be a cut in revenue.”

When it comes to up yourself, that is quite impressive, perhaps the majority of the residents of Richmond couldn't give two fcuks about setting Richmond up as a national leader in tackling climate change.

Jaguar

We've spotted a number of people with nice cars deliberately straddling 2 spaces in the supermarket and town car parks, so they have a nice wide gap each side where nobody can scratch the wings....

StuartG

slower but further
Isn't the new MP for Richmond Dave's favourite Eco-Con Goldust? I'm sure he is almost disgusted ... which reminds me what is happening about his declared 'expenses' or possibly lack of them as shopped on Channel 4 news?

Top Bottom