Owners of Gas Guzzlers Pay More to Park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Edinburgh Council has this morning passed a scheme which aims to charge owners of Gas Guzzlers more for their parking permits, its hoped the scheme will encourage folk to buy sensible cars. It makes sense to me, motorist groups are up in arms about it of course but hopefully it'll go ahead but as folk know even finalised plans in Edinburgh aren't always seen through by the council.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
In terms of parking, increasing the cost of parking a second car would make more sense to me.

Folk around our way often seem to have a car each, which can make parking even vaguely near the house problematic for us at times.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
In terms of parking, increasing the cost of parking a second car would make more sense to me.

Folk around our way often seem to have a car each, which can make parking even vaguely near the house problematic for us at times.

This is an excellent scheme but may also have been motivated by emissions. Councils are very worried about getting fined for emission breaches by the EU in coming years and in some areas these have more or less been associated with motor vehicle traffic. Then again second car cost would also help.

StuartG

slower but further
It would be good to indicate a gradual but relentless real increase in these costs. It is a bit unfair to punish poor people who can only afford an old cronk for a large family in the short term but with the clear message that when they come to change they should take the future costs into account.

It is also a good opportunity to promote Car Clubs (who hopefully have free parking) as the long term aim of having a car available nearby when you need it without clogging/narrowing streets with cars that don't move from one week to the next.

Sadly the Conservative response indicates that there is no backing from the government (even hostility) for this virtuous move which really ought to be nationwide. Its just crazy. Give everybody 4 hours free parking and then charge a daily rate for more would create a better environment for motorists who were actually using their cars, plus cyclists and especially pedestrians/householders who would have more pleasant views if we could reduce the number of superfluous vehicles.

Oh and it would also raise vital revenue to protect local services like libraries, schools, elderly care and such like in the face of the impending swinging central government grant cuts.

marinyork

Even with this the charge for gas guzzlers is less than £1 per day - very cheap parking by any standard.

Yes, but I don't think it's the point. It's like the people that want to abolish VED completely. VED is a fairly large number that people notice to effect behaviours elsewhere in the cycle. Similarly this is another interesting tool.

Davidc

Guru
Yes, but I don't think it's the point. It's like the people that want to abolish VED completely. VED is a fairly large number that people notice to effect behaviours elsewhere in the cycle. Similarly this is another interesting tool.

Evidently. But neither this nor VED is large enough.

It can't be done overnight but I'd like to see far more measures to wean us off the idea of private motor transport. It's destroyed our towns and cities, damaged the health of the population, and concepts like increasing freedom are an illusion.

Won't happen under this government, but a big business rates levy on customer parking places would help as well.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
They're a bit behind the times in Scotland. Similar schemes have been run by many English and Welsh Councils for a number of years.

Good to hear, the motorist organisations were trying to make out that this was a radical new thing and folk won't accept it, they obviously have.

The other positive (part of the same meeting) which is certainly not a radical new idea a wider 20mph zone is to be introduced (currently they are limited to residential areas) if it proves to be successful they are going to extend it to the whole city; I hope they do :-)

In the US they have gettoes special areas for SUVs with fines for parking in ordinary spaces.

They take up more room and in some cases exclude the use of three spaces.

Purely on these grounds they take up more room

marinyork

Sheffield also has an emission based scheme.

I'd regard the developments in Edinburgh as very much more positive than here and much more in need of praise. The numbers I've seen for here for permits here are apparently negligible and cost £10, although second permits do cost more (again not much) £30. And a list of cars gets free permits, which I think is also perhaps a bad step. The graduation is there but it's almost a waste of time. In this context I wouldn't agree with your assessment of Edinburgh being nothing special unless the figures I've seen are incomplete in some way.

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
I only know of Richmond, Reg. Are there others?

Lambeth... just "paid" £0 for my car, was £30 last year, good thing it was zero as their whole payment system has been broken for two days (again)

Still i think its pretty stupid, my car takes up the same amount of space as any other.

It can't be done overnight but I'd like to see far more measures to wean us off the idea of private motor transport

Without meaning to play devils advocate here, electric bikes and electric cars are 'private motor transport'. I don't think we should be trying to wean people off either, well that is as long as we move toward renewable fuels for electricity generation. I'd certainly agree we need to wean people off use of fossil fuel powered vehicles. Public transport has its place but it has its problems too. There needs to be a nice mix of modes. Incidentaly, it's having to rely on public transport that makes people cycle not just because the public transport is crap but because cycling is a damn sight more convenient.

Top Bottom