oxford fires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Not far from me. I wonder what his grievance was. Could have hurt people, or worse.

subaqua

What’s the point
not surprising at all. modern materials are no less, or more fire resistant than that of older materials. how we prevent propagation is the major reason fires are less devastating than they used to be.

a fire door wedged open with the extinguisher next to it is not effective at containing the fire. neither is a door with a fire seal incorrectly fitted.

Drago

Legendary Member
Paperless offices are invariably crammed full of paper, hence they offices going up like that. Word on the news is Calif gas type bottles were lit-off, which would make a mess. But why target a crematorium and some poor blokes house as well?

screenman

Legendary Member
Paperless offices are invariably crammed full of paper, hence they offices going up like that. Word on the news is Calif gas type bottles were lit-off, which would make a mess. But why target a crematorium and some poor blokes house as well?

They recon the Crem could have been a mistake, the house not sure about. There was also a mention somewhere about planning offices, one day it may all come out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-30826330

shocking how quick this fire took hold in a modern building

Not at all really.
No matter how good the fire resisting construction is,you will always get a human factor as per the post by subaqua above, an open door or incorrect storage can lead to very quick fire spread due to voids delibrately made in the building materials to speed and aid construction of the building . Anyway most of the video seen today was some time after the fire had started so the fire resisting construction had done it's job by then but it will fail eventually. Incidentally when the fire resisting construction fails on a modern building the resultant spread and collapse is ususally much quicker than older buildings. If you look at pictures of modern buildings involved in fire you will usually notice that the roof has collapsed into the interior.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Not at all really.
No matter how good the fire resisting construction is,you will always get a human factor as per the post by subaqua above, an open door or incorrect storage can lead to very quick fire spread due to voids delibrately made in the building materials to speed and aid construction of the building . Anyway most of the video seen today was some time after the fire had started so the fire resisting construction had done it's job by then but it will fail eventually. Incidentally when the fire resisting construction fails on a modern building the resultant spread and collapse is ususally much quicker than older buildings. If you look at pictures of modern buildings involved in fire you will usually notice that the roof has collapsed into the interior.

id have expected excelent fire protection in a council building and a quick fire service atendance..
thats a big building but they recon the gales helped fan the flames so I guess its a case of the perfect fire..
the arrested man must be propper pissed off with someone at the offices..

subaqua

What’s the point
id have expected excelent fire protection in a council building and a quick fire service atendance..
thats a big building but they recon the gales helped fan the flames so I guess its a case of the perfect fire..
the arrested man must be propper pissed off with someone at the offices..

Human beans , they do the stoopidest things. Clear desk policies are one of the easiest way to reduce fire loading . Yet most desks are piled high with loose bits of paper. Tightly packed paper is a proper pain to get to burn .

What does your employers fire risk assessment and prevention plan say ? I bet you don't follow it fully. Know how many cleaning chemicals if mixed together create an exothermic reaction and flames and assist any fire spreading ? Does the cleaner put them apart like the risk assessment she signed but couldn't be bothered to read stated ?

All of the above have been causes of or have assisted spread of fires in the last 2 years in the UK .

Fire service job is not to save the building , but stop it spreading and save lives. Some buildings will get left to burn themselves out and al the fire service are doing is stopping it spreading .

I hate fires , and yet they are so easy to prevent if proper procedures get followed, but people think it's a nanny state " close that door" , " don't do that " etc

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
I keep a small fire extinguisher in my kitchen and work van.
I used the kitchen one in 08 to put the neighbour's cooker fire out..fire extinguishers are worth every penny ..

Top Bottom