Oxford Street to be pedestrianised by 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As a devout Londoner, Oxford Street is a shithole. Anything they can do to improve it would be welcome.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You'll still get the "it doesn't apply to cyclists" lot cycling down there and causing havoc with peds.
Making one of the parallel streets (personally I don't much care which one) "no motor vehicles except access" would encourage cyclists to avoid it. Even without private cars, it's not an easy ride and is unlikely to be much easier with lots of shoppers meandering about.

h1udd

Sounds good to me .... It doesn't need transport on it, busses go st walking speed anyway and there are plenty of parallel roads that go the same direction.

Paving it will allow street cafes and entertainment ... It will become a nicer area I think

raleighnut

Legendary Member
As a devout Londoner, Oxford Street is a shithole. Anything they can do to improve it would be welcome.
I've worked in some of the shops there (I used to 'do' shopfitting) and heartily agree. Around the back of these 'flagship' stores is the most disgusting Rat infested cackhole it has ever been my misfortune to witness.

In London you're never more than ten feet away from someone complaining about rats.

Catweasel

One of the major shopping streets in Vienna (Mariahilferstrasse) was pedestrianised recently - bikes are allowed but cannot exceed walking pace, It's been a tremendous success. Everyone's way happier now - even the car drivers as the roads that run parallel have been switched to being one way - so they move quicker and easier.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I've worked in some of the shops there (I used to 'do' shopfitting) and heartily agree. Around the back of these 'flagship' stores is the most disgusting Rat infested cackhole it has ever been my misfortune to witness.
I used deliver to a lot of shops (round the back) in the city (Leeds, Bradford) they are all the same, rat infested dumping grounds. I reckon if some of the stores clientele could see out the back of these stores they wouldn't want to shop or eat there.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4366017, member: 45"]I read that that you used to do shoplifting.[/QUOTE]
:laugh:

TBH the amount I used to get paid for shop fitting earned me a lot more than anyone could ever nick (unless they were involved in the 'Brinksmat' caper) :becool:

Top Bottom