Oyama folding bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Oyama folding bikes are being discounted at a number of big on-line retailers by up to 55%. I'm thinking about buying one for around £250 (usually £550).

They are Taiwanese made and it appears to be a partnership between a Taiwanese company and a Dutch company. Only recently made available in Europe but production has been going for decades in the far east.

Anyone have any experience of these bikes? Very few reviews on the web.

I'm especially keen to learn about sizing and whether the 20" wheel versions are large enough for a 6'2" person!

With the 50% discount they do look like a bargain compared to Bromptons (although of course I'm not expecting the quality to be as good). For £500 LESS than a Brompton can I go wrong?

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
So, for anyone out there looking for a review of Oyama folding bikes that might stumble across this page I can report that:

The build quality of the frame is fairly poor (Alu St James version) even considering the 50% discounts currently being offered. At full price I'd be really shocked and very unhappy! The spec is certainly good for the price so it's a shame about the frame. Mine also arrived with a few scratches, and the black seatpost will look awful after being put up and down a few times (a silver post would be a better idea). The bikes are also not very large and not suitable for a 6' tall person (unlike the Dahon D7 which has a much longer seatpost and suits people up to 6'4").

All in all, mine never left the living room and I sent it back! Have now ordered a Dahon D7 which is more suitable for taller people and also has a much higher rider weight limit suggesting it's stronger and being more suitable for me.

I don't know why all this info about size/weight limits isn't displayed on Oyama product info pages - would have saved a lot of hassle!

Oyama - me no like!

TrafficEXP

Hi everyone, i know this thread is quite old, but its the top of google's searech for St.James bike reviews so i hope i can share my views. I read the above review before buying the bike in question (Oyama St james). I'm 6'2" so i was a bit worried i'd look/feel quite silly on such a small bike, and obviously there was the build quality issue mentioned above...

Thankfully there wasnt a problem with the bike i got. the biggest 'problem' was that it needed dusting from it's box's dust.

I feel quite top heavy whilt riding the bike, but that goes for most folding bikes, the frame feels solid and i dont look like a plonker! further more, the mechanics feel very smooth and it rides very well, the only problem I've encountered whilst riding is that due to the small wheels, the bike really doesnt like bumpy roads.

Top Bottom