Pacenti SL25 rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is anyone else riding these?

If so what tyres are you using, and how did/do you find them to fit?

Also, with a listed internal width of 20mm, what width rim tape should I be looking to buy?

One of my reasons for replacing the tape (apart from the fact that the stuff I have on there currently is cheap, nasty, thick, and badly fitted!) is in the hope of helping with fitting tyres - I figured some thinner, better fitted rim tape might help a bit? This being the case, does it make sense to go for a very narrow width of tape and just cover the central well where the spoke holes are, or do I want to still cover up over the flanges (not sure that's the technical term?!) where the bead will eventually sit?

Thanks to @Tenacious Sloth who has already provided info on his set up in an unrelated thread.

Last edited:
I received a couple of weeks back a set of these on some handbuilts for CX . I run them tubeless. Putting the tyres on ( Vittoria Terrino Mix 33 mm ) was a breeze and mine came with tubeless rim tape already on and when I gave them a blast of air they popped on nicely and only leaked around the valve. I put some sealant in and left them fully expecting them to leak a bit till I rode them but no stayed solid for a week in the shed. Only test rode them around the block as my 2 races have been on hardpack and I used file tread tyres on the standard DT swiss wheels ( which also set up tubeless very easily) . So cant really say how they ride just seem to be very tubeless compatible with the Vittorias mentioned. So dont know if that's any help to you.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
I received a couple of weeks back a set of these on some handbuilts for CX . I run them tubeless. Putting the tyres on ( Vittoria Terrino Mix 33 mm ) was a breeze and mine came with tubeless rim tape already on and when I gave them a blast of air they popped on nicely and only leaked around the valve. I put some sealant in and left them fully expecting them to leak a bit till I rode them but no stayed solid for a week in the shed. Only test rode them around the block as my 2 races have been on hardpack and I used file tread tyres on the standard DT swiss wheels ( which also set up tubeless very easily) . So cant really say how they ride just seem to be very tubeless compatible with the Vittorias mentioned. So dont know if that's any help to you.

Thanks for the feedback.

I should have mentioned in the OP that I'm currently running with tubes and am looking at 25mm/28mm slicks for road riding, so quite different set up to yours in terms of tyre widths and fitting method.

I'm reasonably experienced at fitting different tyres to rim, and though not the quickest tyre changer I know, I don't usually struggle to get tyres onto rims....but these rims seem to be a nightmare! So far I've tried -

25mm brand new Duranos - 2 of us working together spent half an hour and couldn't manage to get them on
28mm well used 4Seasons - 2 of us working together spent half an hour and couldn't manage to get them on
30mm G-Ones - 2 man job. Really, really hard. Took us quite a lot of struggling and use of tyre levers. Got them on in the end. Rides like a dream, but want to keep these tyres for mixed-terrain touring so looking to switch to slicks now.
35mm Rapid Robs - got these on without too much hassle, but this was just an experiment - these tyres are off my CX bike and obv no good for road riding, which is what my Pacenti-rim wheels are intended for.

Hmm my tyres were brand new and tubeless compatible which means they are usually a tight fit. But they are a lightish large diameter CX racing tyre similar to the Rapid Robs you mention which you found easy to get on. Maybe try a tubeless tyre such as the schwalbe one, that's what the rims are for really, the wheelbuilder Vince Wheels who supplied them uses them for CX builds for that reason.

Velochris

Über Member
I built a set of winter wheels using these rims and like them.

Got some Tesa Tape 4289 from Ebay. I believe it is the same Stans use but much cheaper.

Fitted Conti Gp 4000s and Schwalbe Durano Dual Compound without any issues at all. I would say they are as easy as any other rim I've used.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Is anyone else riding these?

If so what tyres are you using, and how did/do you find them to fit?

Also, with a listed internal width of 20mm, what width rim tape should I be looking to buy?

One of my reasons for replacing the tape (apart from the fact that the stuff I have on there currently is cheap, nasty, thick, and badly fitted!) is in the hope of helping with fitting tyres - I figured some thinner, better fitted rim tape might help a bit? This being the case, does it make sense to go for a very narrow width of tape and just cover the central well where the spoke holes are, or do I want to still cover up over the flanges (not sure that's the technical term?!) where the bead will eventually sit?

Thanks to @Tenacious Sloth who has already provided info on his set up in an unrelated thread.

I like these rims, I don't own any but I've built a few sets and I always fit them with 18mm rim tape.

These are very stiff rim for the weight.

I've heard of people having issues mounting tyres too.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Fitted Conti Gp 4000s and Schwalbe Durano Dual Compound without any issues at all. I would say they are as easy as any other rim I've used.

That's strange. I definitely find them a real issue at the minute, and I know it can't just be me being useless because 2 friends who have more cycling years behind them than me and are both pretty handy at mechanics have also struggled alongside me.

Plus I have no issue mounting tyres on any of my other rims.

Maybe/hopefully it's these fat, skewiff rim strips that are part of the problem and things'll get easier once I've fitted some nice tubeless rim tape.

I always fit them with 18mm rim tape
Sounds very narrow - does that just cover the central well or the whole of the inner rim bed? Hunt website recommends something 6mm wider -

raw

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
That's strange. I definitely find them a real issue at the minute, and I know it can't just be me being useless because 2 friends who have more cycling years behind them than me and are both pretty handy at mechanics have also struggled alongside me.

Plus I have no issue mounting tyres on any of my other rims.

Maybe/hopefully it's these fat, skewiff rim strips that are part of the problem and things'll get easier once I've fitted some nice tubeless rim tape.

Sounds very narrow - does that just cover the central well or the whole of the inner rim bed? Hunt website recommends something 6mm wider -

raw

18mm too narrow? Not at all, if my memory serves me right the inside width is 20mm.

24mm is MTB rim tape territory unless they mean tubeless tape.

Are you trying to tape the inside walls too? Not needed for tubes.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
18mm too narrow? Not at all, if my memory serves me right the inside width is 20mm.

24mm is MTB rim tape territory unless they mean tubeless tape.

Are you trying to tape the inside walls too? Not needed for tubes.

You're right -the inside width is 20mm.

They do mean tubeless tape.

I'm planning on using tubeless tape, partly to ensure it's as thin as possible (in the hope of taking up as little space in the rim bed as possible - I think the thickness of the current rimstrips might be adding to the problem of mounting tyres) and partly to make them tubeless ready for the future.

So that being the case, would 24mm make sense?

Cheers.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
You're right -the inside width is 20mm.

They do mean tubeless tape.

I'm planning on using tubeless tape, partly to ensure it's as thin as possible (in the hope of taking up as little space in the rim bed as possible - I think the thickness of the current rimstrips might be adding to the problem of mounting tyres) and partly to make them tubeless ready for the future.

So that being the case, would 24mm make sense?

Cheers.

In that case then why not? :smile: good luck with the tyres. I use bits of old tube to wrap around the tyre and wheel when fitting Marathon + 25c

Top Bottom