Pack a Brompton for air travel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You won't find it at B&Q etc but 28mm pipe insulation is available...try a plummer's merchant.

That said, personally I'd invest in one of the hard boxes that are available, one with wheels so you can wheel it around the airport. Brommies are expensive, not worth risking damage IMO.
I am considering that, tbh. I've found a hard case for £130, which doesn't seem too bad.

u_i

Über Member
Protection is in reducing acceleration. Vincita's padding is integrated with thick cloth that surrounds the bike in folds. From the bottom a thicker and semi-rigid box grabs the bike. When the bag falls, the bike interacts with the folds and box. It may be a paradox, but spaced out protections can be more effective than similar ones adhering to the structure being protected. The appeal of Brompton and Vincita is in convenience - sure I can pile up so much of protective layers on the bike that whether there is a Dimpa bag there in addition or not becomes irrelevant.

u_i

Über Member
Having checked the cost of Vincita, it's no cheaper than the B&W hardcase when I get it shipped to the UK.

I gave up on B&W in favor of Vincita. In practice the protection is comparable. While B&W has a hard shell, that shell pushes strongly against the bike, so a blow to the case is directly transferred to the bike - the foam plays limited role. B&W is significantly heavier. Vincita rides on 4 wheels while B&W on 2. You can move Vincita by pushing it with your foot or weaving its strap in-between all other stuff you are handling. In the case of B&W you need to carry part of its weight with your hand, After you take the bike out, you can fold Vincita to a size that you can actually carry on the rear rack. It is cumbersome, but doable. Shipping cost is obviously an issue - you may also check what the cost is on Ebay where they also seem to be present. If you were to order make sure to choose the version without Brompton logos to avoid attracting attention.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think it's going to be the B&W hard case.
ProBikeKit have them at £124.99 at the moment, and the Tardis Co-Pilot has asked me what I'd like for my birthday.

Do you have a gear hub on the Brommie?

I ask because Rohloff hubs are known to weep oil in airline luggage holds due to air pressure.

I've no idea if Sturmey hubs are the same.

No harm will be done, but you could tape a rag around the hub as a nappy to prevent oil getting smeared inside your box.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Regular Sturmey 3 hubs leak a bit anyway, most often through the ball ring, sometimes down the indicator rod. I doubt the BWR is sufficiently sealed not to. Cling film it and bin bag it and take some shop cloth just in case?

berlinonaut

Veteran
Do you have a gear hub on the Brommie?
I ask because Rohloff hubs are known to weep oil in airline luggage holds due to air pressure.
I've no idea if Sturmey hubs are the same.

Rohloff hubs are filled with oil whereas Sturmey hubs (as most geared hubs apart from the Rohloff and the Alfine 11) are greased. Thus as there is no oil filling inside the Sturmey hubs they cannot weep oil. The well-know potential leaking of the Rohloff is btw. less due to air pressure but more due to the hub laying on it's side during airline transport. You may face the same issue when transporting a Rohloff equipped bike in your car. I think it may be even mentioned in their manual (and as well that it may be annoying but does not endanger the hub).

berlinonaut

Veteran
Didn't know that about rohloffs.
Sounds bad?
How can it be good/acceptable?
There's nothing wrong about that. If you have a hub that is partly filled with oil and that is intended to stand upright (as a bike stands upright as long as you do not fall off) some leakage may occur if you lay it in way that it is not intended to. Even more with said air pressure difference in airplanes. But leakage does not necessarily happen - it just may happen in bad circumstances. There's no issue that results from that apart from possibly having a bit of oil where it does not belong to. Which does no harm to the hub and does not keep it from working. The oil is one of the things that make a Rohloff hub more efficient than greased hubs, so it is good to have it. If you can avoid the hub/bike lying on it's side there will be no issues. If you cannot avoid it probably still nothing will happen. I had a spare Rohloff wheel lying around for ages on it's side accidentally and it did not leak.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Didn't know that about rohloffs.
Sounds bad?
How can it be good/acceptable?

Worth bearing in mind the hub does not run with a sump of oil at the bottom.

There's only enough in to coat the internals in use.

Rohloff say it does no harm to run the hub after draining it for an oil change, because you cannot drain out that coating.

Seems to me the hub breathes in use.

The casing of mine has a fine layer of dust stuck to it after a cinder track or gravel ride.

I reckon a mist of oil exits the hub and settles on the casing.

Top Bottom