Pack able light weight jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tango

I am looking for a lightweight small pakable waterproof jacket for the road bike, that can fit in a rear pocket or saddle bag

Any advice would be appreciated

simon.r

Person
I've just bought one of these which seems very good. Go up at least one size from normal though. It's certainly lightweight and packable (it compresses to roughly the size of a tennis ball) but probably showerproof rather than waterproof.

IME waterproof jackets tend to be relatively bulky and best reserved for very cold days, as anything truly waterproof isn't very breathable. Personal preference on all but very cold days is to wear a lightweight showerproof jacket and accept that I may get a bit wet if caught in a heavy downpour.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Most rain jackets will pack down small enough to go in a jersey pocket, if they don't have a pouch built in or supplied with it for packing it down, you can pack it within its own sleeve. That is what I do with my Castelli rain jacket.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The Aldi / Lidl ones are very compact (size of an apple) and very light.
They're also pretty cheap - like change from a tenner cheap.
They're not terribly waterproof, but they're not too bad...
EDIT - Lidl have a somewhat more meaningful one in soon, at £11.99. I doubt it'll roll up as small as the cheap showerproof ones though.

OP
OP
Tango

Tango

Many thanks all.

As it happens Vickster, I have been looking at the pocket rocket, but hadn't considered the montane, which looks a fine piece of kit :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
you can just get a montane fetherlite velo and spray it with proofing. the only difference I can tell between that and the H2O version is taped seams on the latter (please correct me folks if I'm wrong)

my reasoning being if it is raining enough for taped seems a stuffa-type jacket ain't gonna hack it anyway.

pac-man

Used the...
Altura Pocket rocket for a while now... small and packable with its own stuff sack... but has flappy arms and short at the back.
DHB Minima s.... better cut than the pocket rocket, but thicker fabric, hence not as small when packed
have used both in really heavy rain... both are quite good.

BBB baseshield... cheap, packs really small but... cheap, so not great quality.... but cheap so good for stuffing in the saddle bag for emergency's
Northwave sid... little better than the BBB baseshield but like the BBB really only good as a light shower jacket

cant comment on other jackets as i haven't tried other packable jackets

Top Bottom