Packable Waterproof Jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For fully waterproof, though doesn't pack as small as some, the Aldi jacket. Not on sale at the moment though, though just possible that one of their stores which stocks past items (I have one near me) may have them. £20. Saw one for a tenner a bit after the last cycling special - an absolute bargain - I should have snapped it up. May come around again in a two to three months. I love my black one and use it in preference to a Gore.

For water resistant (which is all the Castelli is), this:

https://www.merlincycles.com/lusso-giro-rain-jacket-91085.html

which will actually hold off a fair amount of rain.

It is pretty breathable.

Mine is now permanently stashed in the small outer pocket of one of my city panniers.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
The Squadra is OK. It's really a showerproof wind stopper.
Not at all breathable though.... if it's even a little bit warm you'll be sweating like a pig.

Cheap, Waterproof, Breathable...... pick any two.

Sounds like the recent aldi thing.

(The lightweight showeroroof thing)

I got one as a stopgap while my lusso was off being sorted,

It looks neat but is the most unbreathable thing I have ever worn.
I intend to return it as misdescribed.
The lusso from merlin is way better at the same £15.
Funny thing is the aldi fully waterproof at a bargain £20, a mere £5 more, feels like it is made of a heavier version of the good lusso material.

Be careful out there of "premium" brands just selling you cheap chinese stuff with a logo. Sportful do some good stuff but i also have something from them which turns out to be a glorified pkastic bag. The lusso is way better.
And weep for the departed karrimor and its wonderful pertex showerproof windblockers.

Last edited:

Kajjal

Guru
I have a gore bike wear power active shell which is very lightweight and fits easily into a Jersey pocket. It is windproof and shower proof, got it half price in a sale. Use it for road and mountain biking.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
The lusso from merlin is way better at the same £15.
Funny thing is the aldi fully waterproof at a bargain £20, a mere £5 more, feels like it is made of a heavier version of the good lusso material.

Be careful out there of "premium" brands just selling you cheap chinese stuff with a logo. Sportful do some good stuff but i also have something from them which turns out to be a glorified pkastic bag. The lusso is way better.
On the back of this I've ordered the Lusso, as the zip on my old Endura is on its last legs. At £15 if it's not that great it's no big deal.

On the back of this I've ordered the Lusso, .
On my head be it:smile:

I know someone else on this thread got one on my reccomendation and seems more than happy.

One thing, and it's related to zips, often the weak point of cheap stuff but also stuff that's trying to be too sleek minimalist.

The Lusso will fold up into its back pocket and then you use the zip the other way round to zip up the pocket - a common design,

But I don't think the zip is up to the pressure this puts on it. One of mine (I bought 2!) jammed shut and there was no way of sorting it without damage.

Merlin did the decent thing and sent me a brand new replacement.

i now just roll it up and put it in one of those small mesh bags. I'd advise you to do the same. And advise Lusso to sell it with a small bag. Stuffed in the mesh bag if anything it takes less room than the "recommended" packing system.

OP
OP
J

JLammy

For fully waterproof, though doesn't pack as small as some, the Aldi jacket. Not on sale at the moment though, though just possible that one of their stores which stocks past items (I have one near me) may have them. £20. Saw one for a tenner a bit after the last cycling special - an absolute bargain - I should have snapped it up. May come around again in a two to three months. I love my black one and use it in preference to a Gore.

For water resistant (which is all the Castelli is), this:

https://www.merlincycles.com/lusso-giro-rain-jacket-91085.html

which will actually hold off a fair amount of rain.

It is pretty breathable.

Mine is now permanently stashed in the small outer pocket of one of my city panniers.

After much debating, I finally just placed an order for a Lusso Giro. Thanks for this. Really appreciate it. :smile:

No probs.

it actually keeps off a fair amount of rain. Got caught in a sudden downpour the other day, popped into a bus shelter and shoved it on - arrived home dry.

albion

Guru
For fully waterproof, though doesn't pack as small as some, the Aldi jacket. Not on sale at the moment though, though just possible that one of their stores which stocks past items (I have one near me) may have them. £20. Saw one for a tenner a bit after the last cycling special - an absolute bargain - I should have snapped it up. May come around again in a two to three months. I love my black one and use it in preference to a Gore...
You inspired me to check the collection of jackets I have, picked up on my travels.

My black Aldi one, unworn as yet was some silly clearance price and, if waterproof, seems good for an autumn ride.
If you can confirm the one ou have is mine I wuld be grateful(65772 on label, 100% polyester exclusive of trims - 6 silver reflectors). It woud give me confidence to use it when it is far too warm to use my waterproof shells.

With regards to the last Aldi offer, rather than showerproof, their lightweight items were waterproof, and looking slightly overpriced.
I decided against the ultralight full jacket, they all seeming too boil in the bag but did chance the similar waterproof gilet, it having a clever double zip that can be moved for breathability from the bottom as well as the top.
Most places, if any left, seem to have them reduced to a very acceptable £7, the full waterproof being down to £10 or £11.
Regarding shells, both Lidl and Aldi seem to sell thinner, less waterproof ones these days.

You inspired me to check the collection of jackets I have, picked up on my travels.

My black Aldi one, unworn as yet was some silly clearance price and, if waterproof, seems good for an autumn ride.
If you can confirm the one ou have is mine I wuld be grateful(65772 on label, 100% polyester exclusive of trims - 6 silver reflectors). It woud give me confidence to use it when it is far too warm to use my waterproof shells.

With regards to the last Aldi offer, rather than showerproof, their lightweight items were waterproof, and looking slightly overpriced.
I decided against the ultralight full jacket, they all seeming too boil in the bag but did chance the similar waterproof gilet, it having a clever double zip that can be moved for breathability from the bottom as well as the top.
Most places, if any left, seem to have them reduced to a very acceptable £7, the full waterproof being down to £10 or £11.
Regarding shells, both Lidl and Aldi seem to sell thinner, less waterproof ones these days.

Mine doesn't have that number but it does say 100 per cent polyester exclusive of trims on a "black disc" of material just down from fluffy inner collar and surrounded by yellow mesh. It has got me through the winter. Very cosy. Material not as "fine" as latest Gore stuff of course but I like it. I also like the fact that it isn't pretty extreme racing cut like so much stuff these days.

The lightweight £15 wind/showerproof top recently sold by Aldi is in indeed a total sweatbox - the worst have ever encountered - I took mine back on the basis that to describe it as breathable was a total misdescription. No quibbles and Aldi took it straight back without even looking it over so that was good. No comparison between it and the (reduced) Lusso at the same price.

Agree about the Aldi gilet - humble bit of kit but very good - neat little storage bag so I carry it full time. Nice quality zip which should last.

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
I ordered a Lusso today too, looking forward to using it now. We get enough of the wet stuff over here so I'll probably be giving you feedback sooner rather than later!!

freewheelwilly

Altura Helium. Mine first got tested on the Surrey 100 a few years back when we had hours and hours of torrential rain.I was still dry as a bone, didnt overheat which i put down to its breath-ability. Packs down really small into its own pouch and easily fits into a kidney pocket. My only other top waterproof is a 2001 Gore jacket that had a silver appearance and was again 100% spot on for what it had to do. Sadly got left in a pub on a drunken night out.....

Overshoes on the other hand... Never found a pair that did what it said on the tin

jay clock

Massive member
Altura Helium. Mine first got tested on the Surrey 100 a few years back when we had hours and hours of torrential rain.I was still dry as a bone, didnt overheat which i put down to its breath-ability. Packs down really small into its own pouch and easily fits into a kidney pocket. My only other top waterproof is a 2001 Gore jacket that had a silver appearance and was again 100% spot on for what it had to do. Sadly got left in a pub on a drunken night out.....

Overshoes on the other hand... Never found a pair that did what it said on the tin
I think it is an Endura Helium same as I mentioned above....

Top Bottom