Packing a tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
After my first bikepacking adventure over the summer, my friends and I are planning another one. But this time we will be camping. What's the best way to pack a tent? I've just bought a cheap one man tent, a yellowstone matterhorn (want to make sure i'm happy cycling and camping before investing in something better). I'm on the short side (5'2") and my bike is 47cm. My bags are altura vortex saddle and handlebar bags and topeak mid and toploader. The poles will have to be attached to the outside of the saddlebag as there isn't enough room on my top or downtube to attach them.

Slioch

Guru
Looks a decent wee tent for the money so long as you're not going to be too overambitious about the weather conditions you're going to be using it in. After reading a couple of reviews though, I'd be inclined to invest in a tube of seam sealant and apply it generously to all the stitch holes.

I have a similar-ish sized tent, and how I pack it is to separate the various components (outer + inner + poles + pegs) and pack them in separate small stuff sacks and /or plastic bags. Doing this means they are small enough to fit into your various bags. Strap the poles to the top of your saddle bag or along your top tube if you've got room.

I assume you're going to be using a mattress of some kind. Have you thought about how you're going to carry that on the bike?

Last edited:
OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Looks a decent wee tent for the money so long as you're not going to be too overambitious about the weather conditions you're going to be using it in. After reading a couple of reviews though, I'd be inclined to invest in a tube of seam sealant and apply it generously to all the stitch holes.

I have a similar-ish sized tent, and how I pack it is to separate the various components (outer + inner + poles + pegs) and pack them in separate small stuff sacks and /or plastic bags. Doing this means they are small enough to fit into your various bags. Strap the poles to the top of your saddle bag or along your top tube if you've got room.

I assume you're going to be using a mattress of some kind. Have you thought about how you're going to carry that on the bike?

The initial plan with the tent is a long weekend in Wales with friends. If the weather looks like it's not going to cooperate, we'll bin it and do something else.
Thanks for the advice on packing. Any particular bag for different components, or just wherever they seem to fit?
And for the mattress, just a small inflatable that can be stuffed somewhere or attached somewhere safe.

Slioch

Guru
Wherever they'll fit really. The generally accepted principle for packing bags on bikes is to pack heavy items as low down as possible to keep your centre of gravity low, but if you split your tent into four separate elements, no individual one of them is going to weigh that much to make a lot of difference.

Top Bottom