Packing bikes for planes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm in the middle of packing 2 bikes into bags for a flight to Slovenia tomorrow. What a pain. It's a lot easier taking a skinny road bike apart but I've had to remove the racks, the mudguards (some very awkward fittings there!) plus all the normal stuff.
My question is, shall I dispense with the rear guard as the panniers and tent on rack will stop me getting mucky and the weather forecast is good or am I just a lazy sod?

Comatosed

I've decided to ditch my rear mudgard for the same reason when touring, as the rear panniers will have some effect. Might not be quite as effective but should do the job.:smile:

I know what you mean, they're a bugger to remove and put back on. :thumbsup:

jags

Guru
seem's like a whole lot of bother,are you sure you need to remove fenders and racks,is this airport policy,or don't the bikes fit your boxes.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
jags said:
seem's like a whole lot of bother,are you sure you need to remove fenders and racks,is this airport policy,or don't the bikes fit your boxes.

With the wheels off the guards would be in shreds otherwise!

Rack off as you say, to fit into bag

Comatosed

rich p said:
With the wheels off the guards would be in shreds otherwise!

Rack off as you say, to fit into bag

This is part of my reason as well, I found it difficult to get my bike in the car with the mud guards on and they're really vunerable without the wheels on.

jags

Guru
i suppose so rich p ,when you do figure it out hope you do can you post some info and photo's thanks.
oh and enjoy your tour.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I decided to take the rear mudguard in case my dear ladywife has to wheelsuck in bad weather if I've fukked up in the mileages (not unknown!).

Cheers Dayvo.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Hi, Rich. Enjoy.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I'm in the middle of packing 2 bikes into bags for a flight to Slovenia tomorrow. What a pain. It's a lot easier taking a skinny road bike apart but I've had to remove the racks, the mudguards (some very awkward fittings there!) plus all the normal stuff.
My question is, shall I dispense with the rear guard as the panniers and tent on rack will stop me getting mucky and the weather forecast is good or am I just a lazy sod?

Enjoy.

Top Bottom