Paid bicycle parking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coco

Saw this on the Scotrail web site:

ScotRail have recently installed cycle lockers which are provided free of charge at certain stations for customers who intend to complete their onward travel by Rail.
Stations with the free facility currently are:

Blantyre, Cambuslang, Chatelherault, Hamilton West, Kirkhill, Larkhall, Newton, Rutherglen.

Not sure what that means for Larbert. Perhaps they just haven't updated their website.
Also noticed this:
ScotRail Cycle Rescue - 08000 717 212

When you travel on ScotRail services with your cycle intending to cycle to your final destination we want you to be sure you get there. If you are unable to complete the cycle portion of your journey as a result of an accident, vandalism or an irreparable breakdown to your cycle, ScotRail Cycle Rescue will ensure you and your cycle (if appropriate) are transported either to your destination for that day, providing this is on the Scottish mainland, or to the nearest ScotRail served station where you can get an onward train service. In the event that an incident occurs late in the day you will be transported to the nearest Scottish city where you can find overnight accommodation and an onward train service the following day and, if appropriate, repair facilities for your cycle.

Anyone used this?
Full details here

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
This is true more generally of transport interchanges.

Ideally, you'd want a system that logged when each space is being used. Then have the system update an online database

Users could then go to a website to book a free space.

This will mean you don't turn up in town only to find all the spaces are being used.

marinyork

Riverman said:
Ideally, you'd want a system that logged when each space is being used. Then have the system update an online database

Users could then go to a website to book a free space.

This will mean you don't turn up in town only to find all the spaces are being used.

It's not really a problem that exists at the moment.

There's two lots of semi-secure cycle parking in the city centre here in two car parks I don't use them though. We're waiting for our cycling hub at the railway station and a trial plan to offer a proper secure facility.

marinyork said:
It's not really a problem that exists at the moment.

There's two lots of semi-secure cycle parking in the city centre here in two car parks I don't use them though. We're waiting for our cycling hub at the railway station and a trial plan to offer a proper secure facility.

Where do you live?

marinyork

Riverman said:
Where do you live?

I live in Sheffield. We're not getting as grand a hub as Leeds or the London ones but it's gratefully received. The secure trial in the city centre has been delayed and a bit shaky but I should find out in the next 2 weeks whether it'll go ahead in 2010.

lazyfatgit

Coco said:
Scotrail have them as well. about 3 or 4 at my local station. I don't think you have to pay for them.

You rent them through SPTE. When i had one, the chap who ran the scheme was about to retire and was wondering when the anti-terror boys would have them removed.

sorry - hadn't read the whole thread. there are many more lockers than the ones that are mentioned above as being free. you used to be able to get a list of the vacant ones on the web.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Those bike stations ("Fahrradstationen") are quite common in Germany (and the Netherlands, I suppose) . In Germany they are usually located at the local train station and not only offer paid and secure bike parting. You can also rent a bike there and get your bike repaired. According to Wikiperia in 2006 70 cities had such a bike station (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrradstation). Often they are run by carities in conjunction with the council , the local job center and the bike club ADFC (similar to the CTC, I suppose). Those bike stations are often used as a means to provides jobs for the long term unemployed. Private run bike stations seem to be the exception rather than the rule. Since 1995 the state government of North Rhine Westfalia for example has a government programme which subsidizes such station. There is an interesting document on the internet with several statistics and pictures (text is in German, I´m afraid) http://edoc.difu.de/edoc.php?id=AR3QDNHI
In London, I think a similar thing exists at the Finsbury Park station and the London bridge station.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
wafflycat said:
Thomas - in Norwich, at the main bus station there's a 24hr secure bicycle parking facility. Covered too. Here's the number:-

0344 800 8003

http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/consumption/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=3621

I went yesterday and asked in the bus station about it. The lady said it was a bricked building opposite the bus station cafe/help desk bit and that you need to ask a security guard to let you in.

A bike lock is still required, as someone could get access to your bike and think...hmmm, I'll have that!

But, it is inside so nice and dry....and if you need to get a security guard, hopefully it makes your normal bike thief less interested.

I've not seen what it is like inside yet, but may cycle down to go to Sainsburys later this week/next. I'll have my helmet camera so might even be able to post a video of the experience xx(

Sounds pretty easy to use and decent. I'm a happy bunny xx(

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
okay!! So I ran out of wine last night and needed to go to Sainsburys. The Norwich secure cycling parking seems quite good. It's not very big, but it wasn't really that full so didn't matter.

I'd feel comfortable leaving my bike there. Just gotta ask a security person to open it up for you, then lock up as normal.

There were a couple of people smoking near by...and it didn't smell like anything they bought at the newsagents :tongue:

Top Bottom