Pain back of the knee/harmstring...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

Lauris

UPDATE:
Thank you for all the relevant suggestions:smile::smile:
In today's ride I adjusted my foot pedal position(I still ride flat pedals fyi)
I placed my foot on the pedal closer to the toes, whereas I previously I think it was more centred.
although Its only one ride there was no pain maybe a little that could be from previous rides accumulation.
But then for a brief moment, some pain occurred at the inside of the leg knee area. Went away after 20 secs or so.

I will try to ride in a similar way from now on and monitor the situation.

Duffy

Über Member
Despite riding for 40 odd years, I still get surprised how big an impact a small change in position can make to your comfort in a bike.
A professional bike fit is money well spent IMHO

OP
OP
L

Lauris

Another update:

So it turns out it wasn't my feet position on pedals.

I was leaning too much forward and that put a lot of pressure on my hamstrings I guess?

I suppose my knees were too much forward?

The last 3 rides I decided to put my ass further back on the seat and shift my whole position backwards.

3 rides no pain, I also now feel like my legs are more free and efficient.

I posted a poll a while back about what people do to stay pain free on the bike.
The top response was nothing !!! - but 2nd was people do some stretching / yoga or some activity to supplement their cycling.

I've had a bit of success with back pain using techniques suggested by Peter Egoscue. If you Google Peter Egoscue on cycling - you will find pre and post ride stretches (5 mins before and after) - I ve also brought his book pain free - and sorted out a daily alignment routine.

As others have said if you have had a flare up at the back of the knee - one adjustment won't just switch it off. Being at a tad more flexible certainly won't do any harm though. IME it is essential as you get older.
Good luck.

jay clock

Massive member
I had this come on very suddenly in Scotland doing LeJog and had to abandon. I think mine was caused by the left foot being positioned differently on the pedal. This is a leg movement issue due to Parkinsons. My left foot settles pointing toe downwards so the heel is higher and the hamstring getting less fully extended. Stretching and rest helped and it didn't recur after a couple of weeks. All the best but certainly see a phsyio

PS I went back to Inverness a couple of months later and finished it off

jay clock

Massive member
Another update:

So it turns out it wasn't my feet position on pedals.

I was leaning too much forward and that put a lot of pressure on my hamstrings I guess?

I suppose my knees were too much forward?

The last 3 rides I decided to put my ass further back on the seat and shift my whole position backwards.

3 rides no pain, I also now feel like my legs are more free and efficient.
by moving back you are effectively making the saddle a cm or two higher. So you could raise the saddle and sit in a more natural position

Top Bottom