Pain in hands?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

So bassically since Thursday (last day I cycled around) I have a bit of pain in my hands around the front of palm and in fingers just above knuckles and in knuckles as well. They also seem to be clicking a lot and feel a bit numb.. So is this related to cycling or not and if so why?

si_c

Guru
So bassically since Thursday (last day I cycled around) I have a bit of pain in my hands around the front of palm and in fingers just above knuckles and in knuckles as well. They also seem to be clicking a lot and feel a bit numb.. So is this related to cycling or not and if so why?
Did you ride further than you would normally? Sometimes when I ride further afield I get a bit more tired and end up putting more weight on my hands by leaning on the bars a bit more than usual.

That can have that effect.

vickster

Legendary Member
Could be, do you wear padded gloves when riding. Google 'cyclist's palsy' for an explanation and look at your set up, and try not to grip the bars too hard. Move your hands and fingers regularly while cycling and give your hands and forearms a stretch once off the bike

stalagmike

Enormous member
Could be your riding position is putting too much weight through your hands. Longer or shorter stem or moving your saddle forwards or backwards might help. Hard to tell which in particular. But basically you should be able to lift both hands off the bars easily when riding. If you can't do this without falling forwards then you've too much weight on your arms.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Did you ride further than you would normally? Sometimes when I ride further afield I get a bit more tired and end up putting more weight on my hands by leaning on the bars a bit more than usual.

That can have that effect.
most of the time I either cycle to town or college which is roughly 1 hour. At weekends I usually cycle around 1.5 hours
Thanks

Could be, do you wear padded gloves when riding. Google 'cyclist's palsy' for an explanation and look at your set up, and try not to grip the bars too hard. Move your hands and fingers regularly while cycling and give your hands and forearms a stretch once off the bike
I do wear gloves. (I cant help gripping bars too hard due to having Hypotonia (Low muscle tone).
Could be your riding position is putting too much weight through your hands. Longer or shorter stem or moving your saddle forwards or backwards might help. Hard to tell which in particular. But basically you should be able to lift both hands off the bars easily when riding. If you can't do this without falling forwards then you've too much weight on your arms.
Thanks

Johnno260

Veteran
I had issues while using my flat bar bike on longer rides, I used bar ends and better gloves and it made it better.

Since going to drops and having so many hand positions available it has gone entirely.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I did a quick saddle change earlier this week, and inadvertently skipped the sale forward slightly. It wasn't uncomfortable, but I really noticed the pressure on my hands later in the journey.
Check the saddle is horizontal, just in case it slipped a notch or two.

Top Bottom