Pain in my girlie bits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Morgan1981

Hi All,

I cycle a few times a week, normally with a day between.

When I do a hard, hilly ride, two days in a row, I get a really sore bits. When I say sore, I mean bruised and burning when I wee.

It is usually better after 3 days.

I have a padded saddle. Is there anything else I can do?

I want to increase the amount I'm cycling, but I really can't until I find a solution to this.

Me:smile:

yenrod

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=32061

32061.Jpg

http://www.sellesmp.com/en/default.htm

HelenD123

Legendary Member
You'll probably find a saddle with less padding is actually more comfortable. Unfortunately it can be a process of trial and error finding one that suits you. I have a Specialized Body Geometry saddle (sorry I can't remember exactly which on) which come in different widths according to the widths of your sit bones. I also have a Brookes B17 which has been comfortable right from the start, although some people really can't get on with them. Are you also wearing paddded shorts?

02GF74

Über Member
are you wearing padded cycling shorts? also check the position of your saddle - try adjusting it so that the top is horizontal and ride then tip the nose down 1 cm and ride to see if there is any change. and any other combination in between.

is the saddle the right height?

OP
OP
M

Morgan1981

I am pretty certain the seat is at the right height.

I used to ride without any padding, but became unbearable after about an hour.

I'll try the padded shorts and see how I go.

If that fails, I'll invest in a different saddle.

Thanks guys.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A good smear of vaseline or similar on the tender areas before riding might help. It does for blokes.

I've read a few people's comments on finding the right saddle before, and it seems generally padding on the saddle is a bad idea. You ideally want something to hold your 'sit-bones' only and leave the rest of your nether regions alone.

After that point, it seems your own anatomy / ride style etc etc come into it.

I have a 'standard' saddle on my Brompton, which is theoretically a boy's saddle I suppose. It works fine for me, although things get a *little* uncomfortable when the bike is heavily loaded (i.e. I've been shopping) - but nowhere near as bad as you mention. Now in this case padded shorts (I've just bought a pair or two) make things more comfy, but my saddle doesn't hurt me to start off with.

I'd try seeing if there's a cycling shoppe near you that'd let you try out one or two saddles for a trip round the block maybe? Or alternately they could look at how you sit on the bike and suggest adjustments?

Breedon

Legendary Member
Like others have said try the position of your saddle, if you do try it only make very small adjustments, my road bike saddle is much thinner than my MTB one which is a big fat wide one which i now find uncomfortable so will be changing it to a thinner one.

Padded shorts do you use these? try some laddie's shorts and she how you go makes a world of difference

wooly wheels

Hi Morgan,I had this trouble too,and found the answer to be a Brooks leather saddle ,hard at first but really comfortable when it 's taken your shape ,and you can really sit on it (don't let anyone else ride on it though at least for any length of time ,I did and mine came back a different shape!)I tried various womens saddles and the softer and more padded they were the worse !.I do agree with the blob of vaseline ,by better half was always slathering himself with the stuff ,swore by it.
Good luck .

If you don't give up and you don't give in you may just be OK. (Mike and the mechanics)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've gone done the route of Specialized BG saddles with a cut out - but saddles are personal. Have you any other cycling friends that you could try their saddles.

Top Bottom