Pain in the butt!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just got a new bike yesterday, went out for a good ride and all was good apart from my ass. I figured afterwards that the seat was maybe a little too high which probably didn't help matters but I was in huge discomfort after about half an hour which gradually got worse. I'm clueless when it comes to bike bits, names, etc. Could someone with experience of a few seats recommend one to me please. I have a comfy seat but on a hybrid bike which I don't think would be the same on a racer.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
are you wearing padded shorts?

jack smith

Veteran
Your shorts won't puncture lol, just put the saddle from the hybrid on it if that's what you find Comfy then take it for a ride with the tools to adjust it then keep adjusting it until you find the sweet spot, start with it level and in the middle of the rails and adjust from there

jack smith

Veteran
Your shorts won't puncture lol, just put the saddle from the hybrid on it if that's what you find Comfy then take it for a ride with the tools to adjust it then keep adjusting it until you find the sweet spot, start with it level and in the middle of the rails and adjust from there

ScotiaLass

Guru
Speaking from painful experience, try adjusting your seat first.
Height, angle and the position of the rails. It took me several weeks and a new seat to get it just right!

Also, my padded shorts had got too big for me and we're rubbing...once I replaced them with a smaller pair it was so much better.

Sharky

Guru
Hi
If you have a comfortable position on your hybrid, the first thing to do is to get the tape measure out and make sure the saddle is at the same distance from your pedals and the nose of the saddle roughly the same distance back from the bottom bracket, and have the saddle as near as possible at the same horizontal angle.

Try this as the starting point.

If no difference - try swapping the saddles including the seat posts if they are the same width and see if it is better with the old saddle on the new bike. Because frames are different geometry, mark the seat post with a bit of tape on the old bike or carefully measure the previous height before you remove it from the hybrid.

If that is then comfortable, keep the saddle on the bike you will ride the most and buy a new one for the other bike, after you have given it a good trial. Saddles are all the same, regardless of being a race or hybrid bike, so when you find a comfortable one - use that one. Saddle widths make a huge difference in comfort, so compare the two saddles for width as well.

After many years of using different saddles, I have settled on San Marco Regal
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-san-m...m_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360342101

I've got this one on 4 of my bikes and I have the oldest one on the bike I ride the most! These saddles are a bit "retro", and I have had one since the early 90's - still going strong.

Good luck
Keith

OP
OP
cuske

cuske

Regular
Thanks guys, I'll try some adjusting and if that fails I think I'll invest in one of those seats Kieth, looks very comfortable compered to the razor blade I've got now.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I use the Specialized Romin saddle (the cheaper version to the one reviewed) after using many other types of saddle in the past, it's the one thing I don't notice even on long trips out, very comfortable saddle indeed, but we are all different and what might suit me, might not suit you, it's one of them "try many to suit" items we all have to endure.

OP
OP
cuske

cuske

Regular
I've just looked at a fitting video this morning on youtube and I'm pretty sure I've found the biggest cause, my seat was slightly high. About 4-5 inches been slightly, once I dropped that every other measurement was perfect. I'm still in a lot of pain coming into contact with the seat so think it'll be a few days yet before I can do a trail run.

I just got a new bike yesterday, went out for a good ride and all was good apart from my ass. I figured afterwards that the seat was maybe a little too high which probably didn't help matters but I was in huge discomfort after about half an hour which gradually got worse. I'm clueless when it comes to bike bits, names, etc. Could someone with experience of a few seats recommend one to me please. I have a comfy seat but on a hybrid bike which I don't think would be the same on a racer.
First and foremost get your position right on the bike, not just the seat height. The right position will ensure that knee, ankle, back are aligned and not getting nasty pressures. Power will be optimised as well and risk of injury/ joint wear minimised. A good bike fit (loads of dealers offer this service) is worth weight in gold and costs about £150. I had one done at Twenty3c in Stony Stratford and the difference was phenomenal.

Top Bottom