Pain!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BretonM

Hey guys,
I was riding some trails today and my front wheel hit a rather oddly placed rock in the wrong way.
My handlebars flew to the side and the end of the handlebar smashed me in the sternum with all my weight on it.
I now have a big mark with a bruise surrounding it right in the middle of my chest.
It hurts really bad and when I laugh its agonising.
What should I do?
Thanks.
It looks worse in person ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 71

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If it were me, I would go for a walk-in appointment at the minor injuries clinic down the road. They probably wouldn't be able to do much to treat it but they would be able to tell me if it's possibly something serious that requires further attention.

I suspect rest and painkillers are the only way to treat such injuries.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

If it were me, I would go for a walk-in appointment at the minor injuries clinic down the road. They probably wouldn't be able to do much to treat it but they would be able to tell me if it's possibly something serious that requires further attention.

I suspect rest and painkillers are the only way to treat such injuries.
Thanks mate. I didn't hear a crack or tear. Just knocked the wind outta me.
Cheers for the reply!

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Ouch....as long as you are sure you haven't any internal rupture or bleeding, then I'd leave it to heal (apart from taking some paracetamol for pain relief). But if you are in any doubt, it is worth getting it checked out.
How would I know ??

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Ouch....as long as you are sure you haven't any internal rupture or bleeding, then I'd leave it to heal (apart from taking some paracetamol for pain relief). But if you are in any doubt, it is worth getting it checked out.
It didn't hit me in the squishy but it was the hard bit and I am not in intense pain.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Thanks but it's just bruised in the impact area and I feel fine. Just tried going on my new bike but that was a bad idea!!!
I'm feeling okay just a bit sore
Thanks again

If you piss or shoot blood then it maybe something more serious, otherwise, carry on regardless as the beautiful south song says

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Cheers guys. Thankfully I'm not vomiting or peeing blood or anything like that and I feel fine.
Probably just resting for a few days and I'll be good to go.
Ripping down the hamsterly Forrest trails once more.
Thanks

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I did exactly the same thing whilst mountain biking in Whinlatter Forest, I saw stars when I landed on the end of the handlebar just below the sternum. I was in some pain but finished the red route ( I think adrenaline may have kept me going). I started to feel a lot of pain on the way home and ended up in York A&E. Although I never had an x-ray I was told it was likely I'd cracked a rib. I was sent away with some pain killers.
I was in a lot of pain for a week and it took 3 weeks really to fully recover.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
If you have cracked a rib there isn't much that can be done IME. Painkillers, that's about it.
If you start coughing blood, then A&E pronto.

Top Bottom