Paint chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Is it normal to get lots of little chips in the paintwork? (Not glaringly obvious, but visible if you do an inspection). The bike has been carried around on the back of a car a bit, and done about 700 miles.
Just worried in case I've bought one with a bad paint job.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Being bumped around in a car will eventually cause scratches and/or worn patches on most paint jobs, but not normally chips.

700 miles could chip paint, but shouldn't. It depends on the miles, I guess. 700 road miles at high speed over salty gritted tarmac in the rain would be quite aggressive towards paint. Likewise, 700 off road miles through flinty trails could be fairly nasty.

As a reference point, I've put at least 2k of the former on my 1 year old this winter, and there's no sign of damage yet...

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Combination of small scratches, a couple of worn bits and a few chips - should have been clearer in the OP! The wear from being carried on the back of the car we're sorting out by increasing the padding on the carrier.

So, might just be a bit unlucky? It's taken out on the road, though roads not always in good condition so some stones and stuff get thown up occasionally.

I think some bikes are better than others. My Kinesis certainly has a couple of scratches, but no chips that I have noticed and it has done a fair number of miles. My Ribble (blue winter frame) has chipped in quite a few places and I only got it in January. I'm not impressed with the paint job (the main chips are on the top tube!), but it was bought as a winter bike, so I'm not going to fuss over it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why not put the bike inside the car? I'm constantly amazed to see single people or couples travelling in cars with their bikes on the boot or the roof like a trophy. Dismantled a bike will go inside most boots or on the back seat. I've even seen people in estate cars and vans with bikes on the back!

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Globalti said:
Why not put the bike inside the car? I'm constantly amazed to see single people or couples travelling in cars with their bikes on the boot or the roof like a trophy. Dismantled a bike will go inside most boots or on the back seat. I've even seen people in estate cars and vans with bikes on the back!

Cos it won't fit with all the other stuff I carry around!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
... or accept the fact that it's a... bike, not a love object, not a sign of your manhood, or your wealth, or your loveliness, it's not a priceless painting by Van Gogh, or a human being, it's just a bike albeit a nice one, and they go just as well with a few scratches and chips.
Just a thought, I don't prescribe to this at all of course...

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Fab Foodie said:
... or accept the fact that it's a... bike, not a love object, not a sign of your manhood, or your wealth, or your loveliness, it's not a priceless painting by Van Gogh, or a human being, it's just a bike albeit a nice one, and they go just as well with a few scratches and chips.
Just a thought, I don't prescribe to this at all of course...

Well yes - in the same way as my car is a means of getting from A to B! I was just wondering if I should go elsewhere next time I get a bike!

(Being of the girly persuasion - it doesn't affect my manhood in the least! ;) And my girly loveliness is marred by a red, sweaty face, so a few paint chips really won't make that any worse!)

Mark_Robson

Fab Foodie said:
Wash your mouth out with soap and water!! ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nothing is better than a well used old tool or object that's worn from years of work. But there's a difference between honourable scars or wear and damage caused by wilful neglect or abuse.

Fab Foodie

Globalti said:
Nothing is better than a well used old tool or object that's worn from years of work. But there's a difference between honourable scars or wear and damage caused by wilful neglect or abuse.

That's my excuse for my physical state...;)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
As others have said - paint scratches chips are normal if you've been riding on the road in winter.

My new Aluminium hybrid (since January) has many - mostly on the downtube and around the bottom bracket/chainstays.

I blame the salt granules flipped up by the rotating wheels.

Probably explains why most riders have a winter hack and a nice summer bike.

Fab Foodie

Paint finishes do vary though. The pearlescent finish on my 2004 Giant TCR has proven to be tough as old boots, barely a scratch or chip. OK, she's not a high mileage commuter hack but she does go out in all weathers all year round and she's almost pristine.

Top Bottom