Paint 'Feature'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Anyone any idea as to what the problem is here?

Bike is 2010 Dawes Galaxy, never used in the wet and always stored in a dry barn, so I'm thinking it's not rust.

The paint is intact and not flaking.

It's the down tube and the lines start at 'guide' for the gear cable.

DSC_0022.JPG

wisdom

Guru
It's looking as if it's under the paint which I think would have shown earlier.possibly from new but.
Has the bike been near brake fluid or anything in the barn.

OP
OP
Alex H

Alex H

Legendary Member
To be honest, I never look at that bit very much, so it could have been there for ever ^_^

Just propped up against the wall (cleanest side) in the barn

Tangoup51

Looks like a scar. Jesus, is that bike real?!? :ohmy:

But seriously, I'd have a look at the threads for that cable guide. I don't know if that screws into the frame itself but that whole thing with steel / alloy contact isn't always fun in humid conditions.

wisdom

Guru
Being as it's the downtube.Is it possible that some contaminant used in agriculture (maintainance wise) has dropped onto the frame and run down in two tracks thus bubbling the paint.

It' a bit like a whodunit we have the murder but no suspects yet.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Thats been caused by an external influenced, maybe something dropped or dribbled on the paint. As well as the paint it's affected the Dawes decal too.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've never known rust to spread like that. I'd go for something that has attacked the paint from the outside.

screenman

Legendary Member
I've never known rust to spread like that. I'd go for something that has attacked the paint from the outside.

I have been spraying for too many years and have seen it often, as I said it is over the roof of my current car, also on parts of my turbo bike. I accept of course I could be wrong but I would put a fiver on scrape that paint off and there will be rust.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I have been spraying for too many years and have seen it often, as I said it is over the roof of my current car, also on parts of my turbo bike. I accept of course I could be wrong but I would put a fiver on scrape that paint off and there will be rust.

Yes, it looks like its rusting from the inside out.

Kernowdreamer

I have the same on a steel frame that I have just taken back to bare metal. The frame is covered in in these 'snail trails', some which weren't visible when painted. Its rust, unfortunately :sad:

Top Bottom