Painting a shed door?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Exterior decorating advice needed please.

I've finally got round to starting to paint the shed door. It's a 4' x 6' bit of ply on frame of 4" x 2" rough-sawn softwood. The outside looked like it had been under-coated previously so that got sanded down and another coat.

The frame and back of it are raw timber still. I'm only bothered in how the outside looks but think it'll warp or try to if only one side is painted. Do I need to put primer on the insides or will a couple of coats of undercoat suffice? The outside is getting another undercoat and then some paint and varnish. Thanks.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Treat both sides equally and take pride in a job well done.

The varnish will seal it so yes, it might warp in damp or very dry weather if you only do one side. Wood can hold nearly 50% of its own weight in water.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ooh yes - it's shellac in methylated spirits, the only thing that's impervious to wood resin. Paint it on really thick, don't just dab.

Well remembered at the back there!

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
No knotting solution needed but treating both sides equally is obvious :smile:

No primer needed as there's none on the outside. Thanks Gti.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Globalti said:
Treat both sides equally and take pride in a job well done.

The varnish will seal it so yes, it might warp in damp or very dry weather if you only do one side. Wood can hold nearly 50% of its own weight in water.

I though Longers was using paint, not varnish. Does he need to use knotting solution?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
OOOOppps my apologies, I deleted that post about knotting solution, because I wanted to quote Globalti's advice, sorry to muddle things up.:smile:

I never did work out how to add a quote to a post that I have started.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
IIRC you can get a combined primer and undercoat.

I used knotting solution on three doors that I painted a couple of years back. I did wonder why it was necessary, until I saw someone's house with new doors with light-coloured paint, and those horrendous coffee-coloured splodges that you get when knotting "bleeds" through.

Somehow I think I am trying to teach Longers to suck eggs?? :smile:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
I think I'd rather be sucking eggs than painting. It's been nice in the sunshine though.

I'll go with the same on both sides so no primer needed as there was none on the outside. I did see some of the all in one in the hardware shop today.

Nice brushes for a change. They've got feathered tips, if that's the term. And were cheap but don't lose any bristles.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
I ought to go and buy another pack, they're much better than the ones I've bought before.

Do you enjoy the sanding and prep as much as the painting Speich?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
* quietly ignores Maggot's outburst "

Yes, Longers, preparation being nine tenths of the job.:smile:

Btw there is one of those old-fashioned type of Ironmongers near here who sell paints, brushes etc, and a million and one other things*. The staff know what they are talking about, and are very helpful.

The first counter in the shop looks remarkably like the one in Four Candles, the Two Ronnies sketch.:biggrin:

* Including nuts and bolts in ones, instead of a packet of twenty.

Top Bottom