Painting advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd be grateful for all views on painting a frame.

I bought my daughter a bike to replace her beloved 1989 Peugeot which was trashed when a car hit her in London last month (concussed and bruised+ she is basically OK now as well as lucky). I found a suitable bike which she has just collected from me. It's a lugged frame, probably 20+ years old, with decent Campag components in good nick, shows every sign of having been very well looked after, and rides really beautifully. The only problem from her point of view is that whenever she looks down at the frame she is surprised that she doesn't see a yellow frame like the last bike. Instead it is a very unusual, if not strange, violet-blue colour which is undoubtedly original. I agree it is an odd colour but that wouldn't fuss me. It has Mick Steel decals, and looking at many close-up pictures of Dave Yates frames this one is almost certainly one of his (I can't read the numbers clearly on the BB 'cos of the paint).

She asked me about having it painted, and she means professionally painted, to a colour of her choice so that it feels 'her' bike.

I see the choice between a traditional stove enamel and a more modern powder coat. Powder coats are said perhaps to be more chip-resistant but that would not be essential in someone who does not ride daily or bash her bike around. To my mind a proper stove enamel finish would look better, and maybe be more in keeping with its status and period. The issue is not money but getting it done properly, and I have found several dedicated bike painters (Bob Jackson, Argos, Ellis Briggs, Varonha); there must ne several more too.

I'd value your thoughts and recommendations please.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Don’t ever powder coat, if the bikes worth it, treat it to a proper respray.

Drago

Legendary Member
Provided the colour she desires is easily attainable, powder coating every time. Cheaper, more robust, what's not to like?

That said, find a decent place that does a good job with a fine finish. Some industrial coaters are pretty good, but a lot are sheet. If they do coati g for classic car restorers - some of the fussiest buggers on the planet - then their workmanship and finish is probably going to be decent.

Nothing wrong with a well done enamel finish either. If you don't mind paying the extra and you have found a decent artisan, then go for it.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'd be grateful for all views on painting a frame.
The issue is not money but getting it done properly, and I have found several dedicated bike painters (Bob Jackson, Argos, Ellis Briggs, Varonha); there must be several more too.

I'd value your thoughts and recommendations please.
Mercian cycles of Derby will re enamel the frame and forks, for a price. https://www.merciancycles.co.uk/renovations/

Cycleops

Legendary Member
All depends on how much you’re willing to spend. Mercian will do a top job but will charge accordingly. Powder coat if you want a budget job and willing to put up with some chipping over time.

midlife

Guru
Modern powder coating is now pretty good but can't beat a good wet paint job if you have the money :smile: Powder coat is about 40 quid?

carpenter

Über Member
Good preparation and powder coating :

https://ctc-powder-coating.co.uk/our-work/bicycles/

I have used them on a few frames and have been very pleased with advice given and finish (much tougher than enamel). My only proviso would be that if the bike has very ornate lugs/fine detail then enamel may be best, as powder coat can make the lug to frame transition less distinct.

I have also had enamel respray on a couple of bikes, but very fragile finish (touch up pot not available from company, quite dismissive when I asked) and I am not too keen on the finish in one case - perhaps it was done on a Friday or by a new boy. I won't name the company, but they are well known in the bike respraying business.

Last time that I used CTC it was around £110 (see my mercian thread for example - I love that colour:smile: and it is lasting very well)

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have never seen good powdercoat except on factory frames. It's usually thick, orange-peely and dull. It looks terrible on lugged frames as it blunts the edges of the lugwork. Once rust gets under it, which it will, it spreads invisibly underneath. If you must powdercoat, get it phosphated and lacquered too...by which time you could have paid for enamel.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
With all the work required for powder coating, removing old paint and properly masking every opening in the frame, you could do enamel and make a good job of it. Powder coat is like a concrete road. Strong, but hard to repair. Enamel is like a macadam road. Does the job well, holds up in all weathers, easier to repair properly.

Drago

Legendary Member
Modern powder coating is now pretty good but can't beat a good wet paint job if you have the money :smile: Powder coat is about 40 quid?
I pay 50 sheets for a frame and forks. 50 for an unusual colour, 40 for black, white, silver or red if I don't mind waiting until they have enough items for a batch. Have tried several, and my favoured firm (Midland Refinishing in Northampton) do very high quality work for car and motorbike restorers, and their work is superb. The oldest job I have from them is about a decade old and still pristine. They use a nylon powder with is incredibly tough, but flows and shows detail as if it were paint. Very nice.

Interestingly, car and motorbike restorers generally - but not exlusively - avoid enamel.

Top Bottom