Painting Old Wooden Windows

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ppl more pics of the back window that I started

den window pm a.jpg


den window 0.jpg


den window a .jpg


den window c.jpg


other distractions include gilling voids & patching cracks in the front driveway. experimented with/ a new product. I think I like it & will try it on this whole run of depressions & cracks. also bought a bucket of sealer to play with. unfortunately doing this in sections is not ideal like the garage floor, because it's so visible & can't be hidden behind a garage door
driveway patching.jpg

glad to see the neighbor's cat still makes the rounds, in the middle of the night. the patch was dry to the touch but I was concerned about critters so I set up an infrared game camera to see if anyone came poking around. they did not, they just walked by
cat at patch small.jpg
 
Last edited:
put my GoPro on a 30? foot roof rake pole & took a closer look at some exterior wood work. all included in the reasonable quote from a professional my siblings are stalling on
right side soffit side.jpg

the owner of the nest was not happy with/ my presence. some minor good news the vents in the attic are actually covered with/ plywood. so little birdy isn't getting in
right side attic vent.jpg


left side attic vent.jpg

the roof & gutters look OK
roof from the left.jpg


right side top roof gutter.jpg
 

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Location
Canonbie
I don't know how high up the windows are, but you might make your life a lot easier if you invested in a ladder - maybe find a second-hand one locally?

Is removing the shutters an option? Might be easier than trying to tidy them up. Depends what's behind them though.
 

simongt

Guru
Location
Norwich
8 yrs is way better than most paints.
When I was repainting the outside of the house we'd just bought in 1978, as this was a requirement of the mortgage acceptance, a painter foreman recommended ranch paint as it stayed flexible and 'breathed' thus avoiding the inevitable peeling / cracking after a few years.
It seemed to work well for me, but as I was chucked out of the house after fifteen years, a requirement of the divorce :laugh:, I can't vouch for further longetivity - ! ^_^
 
I don't know how high up the windows are, but you might make your life a lot easier if you invested in a ladder - maybe find a second-hand one locally?

Is removing the shutters an option? Might be easier than trying to tidy them up. Depends what's behind them though.

I would love to tackle this project differently, but I have big restrictions on time and travel distance
 
10 out back
3 for the two ends
6 lower front
4 upper front
two car garage door, with a row of 6 windows at the top. but maybe that doesn't count

so say 22 windows. yeah, I'm not doin all that myself. even if I work in the dark all winter

6 hrs pr window, I can squeeze in 2 hrs twice a month, 22windowsx6hrs pr=132 hours divided by 2hrs pr visit = 66 visits, divided b 2 pr month - 33 months, divided by 12 months in a year = 2.75 year. nope not gonna happen. can any math wizards double check those equations? -

I think I can replace the roof vents from the inside
 
Last edited:
I don't know how high up the windows are

this high
this high up.jpg
 

rogerzilla

Squire
Hardwood windows should last at least 100 years, longer with a lot of care. uPVC - about 25 years, 40 max (although they're no longer made to the standard of the ones reaching end of life now - our new Anglian ones really are shite compared to the windows we had put in 25 years ago).

The softwood ones put in by builders don't usually last as long as the paint on them. 5-10 years.
 
made a little progress on that back window. but gotta say doing from the inside, at night is really difficult. can't see, can't reach. if I finish this one it should look better from a distance w/ a cursory glance, but that's about it. if I ever finish this one & I don't know that I'll do others, especially with reliable nice weather becoming less common. I might hit a cpl window sills cuz that's easy

gave the window an hour, then did some driveway patching for an hour
nite window Screenshot 2026-09-19 at 9.49.00 PM.png


day window Screenshot 2026-09-19 at 9.47.45 PM.png

these 2 sills are the worst. the body filler helps but I'm not taking a power sander to them
window sill before Screenshot 2026-09-19 at 10.10.25 PM.png

did the body filler at night, then only got 1 cost of primer on before I had to leave
 window sill after primer b.jpg

if you can't do a job right why do it at all? because doing nothing makes me really sad
 
got back a cpl weeks later & spent another cpl of hrs on it

more scraping
window scraping.jpg

one problem w/ such old windows is that aside from the old paint flaking off, the glazing putty holding the panes in is falling off in some spots. only thing I had handy was some white silicone caulking, so used that in a cpl spots just to be sure they didn't fall out before I got back there in 3 weeks
glazing.jpg

getting there. not like new but not the eyesore it was before
den window morning.jpg

still needs
- window glazing putty
- exterior coat of paint, most of that is just primer
- window cleaning

then on to the next window, a single. won't have the advantage of a window next to it so that I could reach & work on it while closed
downstaits bath window BEFORE.jpg
 
Last edited:
put my GoPro on a 30? foot roof rake pole & took a closer look at some exterior wood work. all included in the reasonable quote from a professional my siblings are stalling on

the owner of the nest was not happy with/ my presence. some minor good news the vents in the attic are actually covered with/ plywood. so little birdy isn't getting in
View attachment 820915

about midnight, took a spooky trip up to the attic to take another look at the gable vent covers. holding securely. nailed shut tight. I'd better be prepared, before I pry this plywood off. it's gonna be a dirty job
attic gable vent.jpg


gable vent cover.jpg

would prefer to work on this in daylight, while the hardware store was open & the neighbors weren't sleeping
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom