palpitations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surfdude

Veteran
anyone suffer from these annoying things and do they effect you much . what sort of treatment do you have or receive .
i had a 24 hour ecg last week and it recorded 5088 in that time . my doctor has said that they are something i just have to put up as there is not much they can do about them .
i am being referred to the hospital but he seems to think they will not find anything wrong with my heart which is a positive

Try moving away from on all stimulants such caffeine and see if that helps. Coffee, tea etc..

ScotiaLass

Guru
I've had them (and still get them off and on).
My heart is a-ok and I've been told it's due to stress. Annoying, but at least it's nothing mechanical!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My heart rhythm was very badly affected by my clotting episodes and it has taken a long time for it to settle down again.

I found that very intense physical efforts could trigger problems. I might be ok to about an 80% effort, but a harder effort could upset the rhythm. The problem then was that it could stay upset for 24 hours or more!

While that kind of thing was happening, I just had to limit my activity so as not to trigger it. I found that I was getting warning signs - little flutters in my pulse. If I backed off immediately, I could usually avert further problems.

Caffeine was also a trigger. A strong coffee or can of Coke could do it. I also suspect that excessive chocolate intake did not help. Since giving up alcohol, I have switched to chocolate for my evening treat.

A steady pulse is easy to take for granted. I had not realised how unpleasant heart rhythm problems can be until I got them myself!

There are breathing exercises which can help. Search for 'breathing exercises to control heart palpitations'. A friend has suffered since childhood and he uses a technique of taking a deep breath, leaning forward and blowing hard with lips sealed. A doctor told him that can cause the lungs to squeeze the side of the heart and ease the misfiring problem. My pal says it works for him. I tried it during one of my attacks and I think it helped me too.

Good luck surfdude, and other fellow sufferers.

stephec

Legendary Member
I've had them (and still get them off and on).
My heart is a-ok and I've been told it's due to stress. Annoying, but at least it's nothing mechanical!
My heart does funny things whenever I see your photo. :smile:

And seriously, when I'm out running I quite often get blurred distance vision after about twenty minutes. Somebody did mention it has something to do with blood pressure, but as they weren't a doctor I didn't take a lot of notice.

ayceejay

Guru
My doctor is nuts, I would get an extra beat or a flutter (not sure if this is 'palpitations') anyway he told me to breath in then close my mouth then do like a straining movement to get the air out through my mouth. If you remember that kids program Duffy Moon it was that action.
Anyway - it worked.

ayceejay

Guru
Val salva maneuver :smile:

Shaun
That's right I Googled it - thanks:okay:

OP
OP
surfdude

surfdude

Veteran
i don't do any caffeine or eat chocolate . i do try and watch my diet fairly well . i am a bit over weight . i don't have stress in my life as i am very laid back type of guy . its just the number of them 5088 . on average that's 3 a minute . when my doctor saw the number he even "wow that's really a lot but nothing to worry about" . reassuring or what . ah well wait for the rest of the test to finish . thanks for replying all of you .

midlife

Guru
Val salva not really recommended, it's the reason that after medical student exams the toilets are checked for heart patients that have been used in the exam

Nothing like straining on the loo for a real val salva and then having a cardiac event :sad:

Shaun

david k

Hi
anyone suffer from these annoying things and do they effect you much . what sort of treatment do you have or receive .
i had a 24 hour ecg last week and it recorded 5088 in that time . my doctor has said that they are something i just have to put up as there is not much they can do about them .
i am being referred to the hospital but he seems to think they will not find anything wrong with my heart which is a positive
Yeh I get them a lot, particularly when drinking alcohol, not had a drink for a couple of months so not had them, think it's linked to blood pressure with me

Globalti

Legendary Member
Since becoming serious about cycling I can't sleep on my left side as it brings on palpitations.

Top Bottom