Pan Celtic Race 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The start date for the Pan Celtic Race 2023 will be Sunday 2nd July 2023.

It is starting at St Malo in Brittainy and heads off to Mont St Michel and through Normandy to Ouisterham and over to Portsmouth. The route heads off, I do not know where and ends in Llandudno.

There is a long course of 1425 miles and 72,911ft of ascent and a short course of 1066 miles and 54, 342ft of ascent.

Applications open on the 2nd of December and will be oversubscribed, I would imagine. I will be applying for the short course as I am not a racer and want to try to keep involved in the race from start to finish. If I get a slot, I will hopefully be bivvying as I go along.

Anybody else fancy having a go?^_^

13 rider

Guru
Your braver than me . Good luck getting a spot . Then you really need the luck
Once you get a route I'm sure cyclechatters would help (what ever is allowed )

Alex321

Veteran
Wow.

I wouldn't be capable of riding that. They are expecting most people to be averaging over 100 miles per day, as they expect most to complete it in 10 days or less.

That is a real serious challenge for most cyclists.

Alex321

Veteran
It is starting at St Malo in Brittainy and heads off to Mont St Michel and through Normandy to Ouisterham and over to Portsmouth. The route heads off, I do not know where and ends in Llandudno.
My guess is that from Portsmouth it will be heading towards Cornwall, then back to South Wales, Fishguard - Rosslare ferry, throiugh Ireland, Dublin - Holyhead ferry, to finish in Llandudno.

But that misses Scotland entirely. So the second ferry could be Larne or Belfast - Cairnryan, then cycle South from Scotland to N Wales.

I'd be surprised if it visits Isle of Man at all this year.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My guess is that from Portsmouth it will be heading towards Cornwall, then back to South Wales, Fishguard - Rosslare ferry, throiugh Ireland, Dublin - Holyhead ferry, to finish in Llandudno.

But that misses Scotland entirely. So the second ferry could be Larne or Belfast - Cairnryan, then cycle South from Scotland to N Wales.

I'd be surprised if it visits Isle of Man at all this year.

You may be right.

I was doubtful about the Irish leg. But reading through the small print it does say.

• Ferry Crossings for every rider
I could be wrong. But if it was just from Normandy to Portsmouth I would think it would say "Ferry Crossing" Singular.

We get to know the route on the 2nd.

Alex321

Veteran
Will you publish a link to the route when known, Steve? - thanks

https://www.pancelticrace.com/2022-route-overview/
Ignore the fact it says 2022 in the URL, it is actually the 2023 route.

I was wrong in my guesses, it doesn't touch Cornwall, Ireland or Scotland at all. Only Brittany and Wales of the "Celtic Nations".

Anybody else fancy having a go?^_^

Not me - it's a plastic hat event. Despite them saying:

Ultra-endurance, self-supported bike riding is no more dangerous than riding your bike to the local shop, providing you observe basic and common rules relating to YOUR safety​

I'll probably do another long audax in 2023, PBP* being the main candidate. Bit more inclusive than most of the Ultras.

*Also in Britanny of course! But start/finish just outside Paris.

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
Thanks @Alex321 ... it's a real 'Tour Of Brittany' before heading east to Mont St Michel. Looks like it'll pass pretty close to me too (there's a big inland loop after Carnac where the route heads NE - possibly on the V3 Voie Verte which I often write about in various threads on here).

I'll keep checking back on that link to get more detail on the route (when they publish it).

I hope your application was successful @steveindenmark ... you could be in for a real treat (and some hard work) on the Brittany stage of the race.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Does it visit the most western point of France?

1669987444575.png

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Thanks @Alex321 ... it's a real 'Tour Of Brittany' before heading east to Mont St Michel. Looks like it'll pass pretty close to me too (there's a big inland loop after Carnac where the route heads NE - possibly on the V3 Voie Verte which I often write about in various threads on here).

I'll keep checking back on that link to get more detail on the route (when they publish it).

I hope your application was successful @steveindenmark ... you could be in for a real treat (and some hard work) on the Brittany stage of the race.

Application opens at 8pm tonight. The places will go quickly.

I am making a loose plan in case I get a place. I am planning to fly from Denmark to Rennes as it easier for me than Dinard. I will then cycle to Dinard and stay overnight and ride to St Malo the following day. I have a couple of days in St Malo before the ride starts I already have the Dinard and St Malo accomodation booked as there will be stampede after tonight.
Part of my route to St Malo from Rennes to St. Malo is along the Voie Verte

Top Bottom