Pancake Day ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been at work all day so want to eat a proper meal not faff about.

Dessert? :whistle:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I like a simple pancake, but Mrs L is dairy free, and my daughter is lactose-free.
Most households have one or two different milks in the fridge. We have a minimum of 4.
Not to mention the 9 tubs of butter substitutes (not including the 'normal' pat of butter in the door).

Still, got away with only two batches of pancake mixtures tonight... although had to cook them with different 'butters'.
Best you don't ask about soya-milk pancakes, they were not the best.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I like my savory too much to worry with pudding If eating out I'll have the cheese board. Once at Centre Parcs we went to the pancake House. Everyone had piles off pancakes with cream, fruit and chocolate sauces and ice creams. I had chilli with sour cream topping and was asked not to do it again as the smell interfered with their enjoyment of the sugar rushes. They'll never learn and I didn't listen.:hungry:

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I like a simple pancake, but Mrs L is dairy free, and my daughter is lactose-free.
Most households have one or two different milks in the fridge. We have a minimum of 4.
Not to mention the 9 tubs of butter substitutes (not including the 'normal' pat of butter in the door).

Still, got away with only two batches of pancake mixtures tonight... although had to cook them with different 'butters'.
Best you don't ask about soya-milk pancakes, they were not the best.
We had half lactose free, half oat milk and you really couldn't tell.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
We had half lactose free, half oat milk and you really couldn't tell.
Mrs L makes porridge with oatley. Seems a waste.

I don't mind the slight sweetness of arla lactose free at all, but the M&S version has a strong savoury flavour which puts me right off.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Mrs L makes porridge with oatley. Seems a waste.

I don't mind the slight sweetness of arla lactose free at all, but the M&S version has a strong savoury flavour which puts me right off.
Yes, you might as well just use water for the porridge. I actually think the Arla lactose free is pretty disgusting. I can't have it in tea or coffee and I use minimal amounts on my cereal, but it's fine for cooking in pancakes or white sauces or whatever where the taste doesn't matter. I'm still getting to grips with trying to go lactose free and exploring the alternatives.

Having said that about coffee, Costa now use it and it's actually not so bad from there.

bianchi1

Guru
Bored at work. Not great for cycling weight control.

IMG_20190305_185850566_HDR.jpg

steverob

Guru
I was lazy and just bought one of those bottles of batter mix from Tesco that you fill up to the line with water, shake for two minutes and hey presto, pancake batter! Also, I'm the only one in the house that eats them, so I wasn't going to go to a massive amount of hassle (and washing up) just for one.

Three with lemon and sugar, two with just golden syrup.

KneesUp

Guru
I am in charge of all cooking that involves batter at our house (Yorkshire puddings, pancakes and Popovers) so I was on duty last night, as I am most Saturday mornings.

For the benefit of @ColinJ , the best receipe (and there is no debate here, sorry) is Delia Smiths. https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/british/basic-pancakes Don't go thinking that she specifies far too much butter, do as Delia says.

We have the 'VSL Crate'at home. It is a matter of debate whether VSL stands for Various Sticky Liquids or Viscous Sticky Liquids, but it contains golden syrup, maple syrup, some agave nectar I bought by mistake, lemon juice (recent addition - not very viscous, lending weight to the 'various sticky liquids' camp), and some of those fruit flavoured syrups)

Did you know that eating lemons on pancakes originated at Eton in the 1400s? The Kings Scholars, funded by Henry VI were provided with one (very expensive then) lemon per 'half' (term) because he thought lemons had excellent health benefits - they were expected to eat the lemon. The only way to do this is to add a ton of sugar, thus they drank the lemon as lemonade at the start of summer, ate it with cake in winter, and put it on pancakes (with sugar) at the start of their spring term.

So there you go - posh buggers invented lemon on pancakes.

Top Bottom