Pancake Day ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
I have often fancied going USA style and having for breakfast. Unfortunately I barely have time for my bowl of musli in the morning. My son is supposed to be making me one tonight......still waiting....

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Had to cycle a fair way to get the McDougall's and it was three times the UK price but worth it. I like mine the traditional way, just lemon and sugar, heavenly.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm beginning to wish that I had learned how to make pancakes... (Or that the pancake-making friends that I spoke to a couple of days ago had taken my not-very-subtle hints!)

It is very easy.

Can't find it online, but will post my recipe of choice from Thug Kitchen when I get in.

Katherine

Guru
Just cost me a FIVER for Maple syrup. It ain't cheap over in the UK.
If you are a member of Costco, they have the bigger bottles for the same price.

I'm beginning to wish that I had learned how to make pancakes... (Or that the pancake-making friends that I spoke to a couple of days ago had taken my not-very-subtle hints!)

Never too late to learn and you can have fun practicing.
You don't need to toss them, you can use a spatula to flip them.
It's just about getting a feel for the right temperature for your pan, use a ladle for getting the right amount of mixture etc
Then you can have pancakes anytime you want to!

Reynard's French Crepes

4oz plain flour, 1 egg, half a pint of milk, pinch of salt, 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil and optional, a little cinnamon and vanilla extract.

Sift flour & salt (& cinnamon if using) into a bowl. Make a well. Crack egg into well. Using a balloon whisk, whisk gently, gradually incorporating the flour. Once the mix gets a little stiff, start slowly adding the milk, gradually working in the rest of the flour. You should end up with a reasonably runny batter. Add the oil to the batter and vanilla if using. Let this sit for an hour or so.

Then, heat up your frying pan on a medium heat with a small splash of veg oil in it. Pour in enough batter to coat the bottom of the frying pan to a depth of around 2mm - a ladle works perfectly for this. Cook till top is dry and starting to lift off the bottom of the pan. Flip with a spatula and cook the other side.

The first one can be a bit iffy, but once your pan is right up to temperature, the crepes cook quickly and easily (couple of mins a side tops). The oil in the batter will stop them from sticking to the pan (I use a cast iron pan that I only use for pancakes) and you will only need to grease your pan the once, right at the beginning.

This quantity makes about 9 - my pan is a 10 inch one.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Never too late to learn and you can have fun practicing.
You don't need to toss them, you can use a spatula to flip them.
It's just about getting a feel for the right temperature for your pan, use a ladle for getting the right amount of mixture etc
Then you can have pancakes anytime you want to!
And remember not to have the mix too thick it needs to be rather runny (as above) otherwise the pancakes will be too thick.

AndyRM

XOXO
Here you go @ColinJ

IMG_20190305_193402.jpg

Top Bottom