Pannier Bag Recommendation......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Thanks to all who replied. I popped into Decathlon yesterday and picked up one of their messenger bags that clips to a rack. It's smaller than a conventional pannier, but I wont be taking that much stuff to the office. Packed lunch and a couple of tubes, pump and lock etc and still have room for the milk or whatever I'm told to bring home.

It looks sturdy with decent fittings. We'll see how we get on.

Handy tip: Regardless of how waterproof a product claims to be, it's always a good idea to put your things inside a plastic bag inside the pannier.

D

Deleted member 26715

I swear by the Topeak trunk bags with fold down panniers but you do need a compatible rack as it slides on
I presume you can't buy the slide to fit to another rack, as I've only just bought a new rack :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Handy tip: Regardless of how waterproof a product claims to be, it's always a good idea to put your things inside a plastic bag inside the pannier.

It took me several wet rides to discover my stuff was getting wet from water thrown up by the wheel.

The clue was the contents were only ever wet at the bottom.

Lining the budget pannier with a 10p plastic bag is a cheaper solution than £80 Ortleibs.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It took me several wet rides to discover my stuff was getting wet from water thrown up by the wheel.

The clue was the contents were only ever wet at the bottom.

Lining the budget pannier with a 10p plastic bag is a cheaper solution than £80 Ortleibs.

I also carry a second bag to put soggy clothes in, keep them separate from my dry stuff.

OP
OP
Z

Zanelad

Guru
Having used the Decathlon messenger bag for a couple of weeks now, I'm very pleased with it. Easy to fit and nice and secure on the rack. Plenty big enough for a couple of shirts, pants and socks ( i keep trousers and shoes at the office). A couple of inner tubes, and associated bits and bobs for punctures. Still room for lunch and anything else I need to take to work. . It looks good on the bike and seems well made. Not tested how waterproof it is yet, but I'm sure it won't be that long until nature puts it to the test.

Many many years ago (20?) my wife bought a pair of Oxford panniers. They were astonishingly cheap, very fully featured, including pull out rain covers in a concealed pocket, and have proved to be utterly bomb proof. She is still using them today and for heavy loads. I bought Ortliebs. No complaints, but I think she got the better bargain!!

Top Bottom