Pannier bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I keep looking at the Vaude Aqua Back panniers - www.amazon.co.uk/Vaude-Aqua-Back-Rear-Pannier/dp/B01LYNB1W4

upload_2018-7-13_9-19-21.png

Sounds robust and very waterproof and comes in a choice of colours including the cheapest option which may also be my favourite, green…..

upload_2018-7-13_9-21-16.png

I have been prevaricating for over 6 months now but need to make a decision soon as my cheap £12 set from ebay about 7yrs ago are rapidly becoming more hole than holder and were never even slightly water proof from the start. It will possibly be a revelation to use some proper, quality panniers (although I can't really grumble about the VFM of my ebay cheapies :laugh:).

OP
OP
C

clf

Thanks everyone, I do like the look of those Vaude bags.

OP
OP
C

clf

Thanks again everyone, went for the vaude in the end, they seem good so far, need to try and rectify the slight rattle from the bottom catch though, it's not snug enough on the pannier rack, I'll look to re position it somewhere a bit tighter.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Thanks again everyone, went for the vaude in the end, they seem good so far, need to try and rectify the slight rattle from the bottom catch though, it's not snug enough on the pannier rack, I'll look to re position it somewhere a bit tighter.
What colour did you get? I am torn between the black or green. Mrs Skol wants me to get the yellow because they are bright but I think they will look like dirty mustard after a few months of Manchester winter commuting.....

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My cheapie Edinburgh Bicycles panniers have lasted well but they are not waterproof.

It took me a series of wet rides to work out the water was being shipped through the bottom of the bag, not the top.

Lining the pannier with a supermarket bag for life kept my stuff dry but still accessible because the top of the bag could be left 'open'.

si_c

Guru
My cheapie Edinburgh Bicycles panniers have lasted well but they are not waterproof.
It took me a series of wet rides to work out the water was being shipped through the bottom of the bag, not the top.
Lining the pannier with a supermarket bag for life kept my stuff dry but still accessible because the top of the bag could be left 'open'.
Top tip there!

OP
OP
C

clf

What colour did you get? I am torn between the black or green. Mrs Skol wants me to get the yellow because they are bright but I think they will look like dirty mustard after a few months of Manchester winter commuting.....

I went for black, pretty much for the same reason, any other colour would look a bit grubby after a Manchester winter, and I'm not really one for keeping my bike clean and shiny, my bike hasn't seen soapy water for months :laugh: *awaits backlash*

humboldt

I was ready to get a Super C pannier because I love the look of them but turns out their hooks are too small for my rack which is a little over 14mm in diameter (Carradice sent me a free sample hook to try just in case but no joy) and they're out of stock of their adapter bars for the foreseeable future. I know Ortliebs and Vaudes fit up to 16mm but I find a lot of their models a bit unappealing, although the 'Urban' Ortlieb type that @confusedcyclist posted further up the page is quite nice and is on my list. Does anyone else make a good quality waterproof waxed cotton pannier like Carradice's Super C or Penrith? I've seen a Chinese company called Tourbon who make retro styled canvas panniers but their reviews are a bit of a mixed bag with some people saying bits have been falling off them, and I'm not convinced they'd be much more than water resistant.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just ordered my Vaude Aqua Back 2 x 24ltr panniers...…. in black :okay:

Checked the Amazon page and the price differential had dropped making the black comparable to other colours where as it had been +£5 previously.

Looking forward to their arrival now, who would have thought something so mundane and practical could be so exciting :rolleyes:

A bit of inner tube on the rack should sort that.

You can wind string around the rack either to make a stop to prevent the bit of rubber slipping or if the string is enough on its own to sort the rattle then don't bother with the bit of rubber.

Top Bottom