Pannier hook failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My company laptop went bouncing down the road this morning; a combination of speed bump & pannier hook failing.
Fortunately it survived the experience and didn't get run over by the car behind me.

Looks to me as if I could repair the pannier by buying a QL-1 rail and hooks from Ortlieb. Anyone done this sort of repair/upgrade successfully?

My company laptop went bouncing down the road this morning; a combination of speed bump & pannier hook failing.
Fortunately it survived the experience and didn't get run over by the car behind me.

Looks to me as if I could repair the pannier by buying a QL-1 rail and hooks from Ortlieb. Anyone done this sort of repair/upgrade successfully?
what's the pannier you have?
Why QL1?
I would recommend QL2.1 if it will work - the inserts go in from the side - unlike on QL2, where they were always dropping out as they went in from the bottom.
Was always amazed that germans would do such a daft thing but at least their stuff was retrofittable and I could just buy 2,.1 hooks to fit instead of the QL2 on my original long-serving bikepackers.
The QL2's are now kept in reserve.

Rixen and Kaul sell the mounting rails and hooks for riveting or bolting to a pannier. You need a suitable hard board. Correx plastic board is the lightest that works well.
R&K are similar to Ortleib hooks. What kind of hooks did you have. There are some where lock failure results in hook failure which is bad. With the above 2 the hook is always good even if the locking mechanism fails.

Top Bottom