Pannier rack on a large frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tallblonde1

I have a Specialized hardrock with a 24 inch frame (26 inch wheel) and would like to get some rear pannier racks.

I seem to have eyelets (see picture) so that should not be a problem but do I need a special pannier rack to suit the large frame?

please excuse the mud!

Stef ;)

Tynan

Veteran
doubt it, there's usually plenty of clearance and adjustment

if 24 inch is 60 cm, that's not a 'big' frame

yenrod

tallblonde1 said:
I have a Specialized hardrock with a 24 inch frame (26 inch wheel) and would like to get some rear pannier racks.

I seem to have eyelets (see picture) so that should not be a problem but do I need a special pannier rack to suit the large frame?

please excuse the mud!

Stef ;)

Cant you get some adaptors ! - maybe do some checking in a Bike Shop that wuill maybe let you try a few esp. as you'll be buying !

You will need a four point rack fitting as the bosses are on the seat stays.

The problem you will have is not the frame size, but your discs, some racks are incompatible with discs!

I think that the size of the wheel is more important than the frame ('cos that's what the rack is fitting over), but I don't think that racks vary all that much (apart from ones intended for the smaller 16"-20" wheels. I reckon that a rack that fits a 700c wheel will also be fine on a 26" - there will be a bit more space between the tyre/mudguard and the flat horizontal part of the rack. In fact I just remembered that I moved a rack from a bike with 700c wheels to one with 26" last year ... no problem.

Top Bottom