Pannier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
£45 in store at Ultimate Outdoors (part of Blacks) yesterday in Kingston, but is more online
Why can’t a bottle just go in the pannier if it’s for use at destination rather than on bike? Just make sure lid on tightly.
also, I often put my bottle in pannier, if leaving bike for any length of time
Absolutely a bottle can go inside a pannier bag but from my experience even with the lid on tightly there is a slight chance of leakage especially if the bottle doesn’t remain upright.
I was more referring to the difference between the Topeak trunk bag with the dedicated bottle pouch and my Ortleib recommendation which hasn’t.

Nibor

Bewildered
I was thinking of getting a new one in the January sales and I've seen that the Carradice Super C has got good reviews, its waterproof and fits a lot in. I'm not sure how I would attach it? Has anyone got any experience in fitting them? The website describes it as 'quick clipping' but I'm not sure how easy they are to put on and off the bike.
Most require the bike to have a pannier rack to start with. If you didnt want to fit a pannier rack you could use something like this https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddle-packs-sqr-bags/super-c-sqr-tour

CXRAndy

Guru
I have Topeak panniers, the fold away version. They are very convenient, aero when you don't need to carry. But, they aren't waterproof. A quick shower, yes, but prolonged downpour will see the contents getting wet. I use plastic shopping bags, as they are correct size, easy to lift out shopping or anything else. That makes the contents totally waterproof

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
How long is your commute? I find a messenger bag best for up to about 10 miles. You can use any bike and there's no attaching/reattaching to perform. I leave my NY Lock* attached to a stand at work and carry a cafe lock.

*so old, it's pre-9/11 and has the WTC on the graphic

How long is your commute? I find a messenger bag best for up to about 10 miles. You can use any bike and there's no attaching/reattaching to perform. I leave my NY Lock* attached to a stand at work and carry a cafe lock.

*so old, it's pre-9/11 and has the WTC on the graphic

I've tried shoulder and messenger bags and always got a aching neck, so I let the bike carry the weight now. Of course that may be a reflection of all the unnecessary cr*p I seem to end up hauling about the countryside.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don't know about Topeak, but the bottle holder on my trunk bag isn't up to much.

I've lost a couple of bottles which have bounced out as I bowl along a cycle path.

You'd think I would hear the bottle hit the deck, but I didn't.

Carrying a bottle needs a bit of thought if your (e)bike cannot take a cage.

Zanelad

Guru
Anyone care to enlighten me about the single pannier issue ^_^.

I'm a single pannier user and would hate to think that I'm committing a serious social gaffe. I've looked through my copy of the Velominati Rules but cannot find anything about it.

Help...……..

vickster

Legendary Member
Anyone care to enlighten me about the single pannier issue ^_^.

I'm a single pannier user and would hate to think that I'm committing a serious social gaffe. I've looked through my copy of the Velominati Rules but cannot find anything about it.

Help...……..
I should think the Velominati would have a fit about any pannier :wacko:

Offside is better for bigging up your bike size for traffic approaching from the rear.
I prefer kerbside panniers for ease of access.
If possible, switch the pannier you use to even out wear and tear. My small ortleibs are symmetrical and can be used either side

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I used to use one pannier for the commute, an old Schwinn I got marked 1/2 price at Wal*Mart (Like ASDA but tasteless) and threw a garbage bag in for waterproofing. I always had my pannier on curbside. When you ride single pannier, you've bid goodbye to the world of rules.

Top Bottom