Panniers for beginners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HeyWayne

I don't have an inexhaustible budget, but I understand the pitfalls of false economics.

Are there some decent middle of the road panniers you'd recommend for a dude like me?

To fit a Trek 4300 (2006 model).

What are the essentials - and am I likely to catch my feet on them?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Depends on type of riding you do.

I got these for year round commuting and they're not bad for the money - Working fine 6 months later. I leave them on the bike permanently so not worried about them getting nicked. Wouldn't do any long distance touring though.

They're a good size, without being too large.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13690

Ive just bought a pair of These which are fantastic value for money but they do sell out quickly ... i had to wait 3 weeks for them to come into stock and i see on the website that they've sold out again within 1 week

Simon

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

Cheers dudes - is there any way of finding out which ones are suitable to carry a laptop?

Basic requirements - must fit on my Trek, must be able to fit a 15.4inch screen laptop and carry my sandwiches.

Will be used on a two day per week commute and maybe the odd cycle/day trip out.

Oh, and preferably not catch on my size 12's if that's possible at all?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
HeyWayne said:
Cheers dudes - is there any way of finding out which ones are suitable to carry a laptop?

Basic requirements - must fit on my Trek, must be able to fit a 15.4inch screen laptop and carry my sandwiches.

Will be used on a two day per week commute and maybe the odd cycle/day trip out.

Oh, and preferably not catch on my size 12's if that's possible at all?

Hi Wayne,

I've a pair from Edinburgh Bike Co-op and I'm sure they'd be big enough to take a laptop - I've had a lot of shopping in mine. I don't know if they'd fit your bike but the fittings are adjustable.

Anne

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I splashed out on the Ortlieb Backroller Classics and haven't regretted it. No problems with heel strike, size 10 feet, and remain fully waterproof with little signs of wear after 18 months.

For commuting I only tend to use one, that can accomodate laptop, lunch, towel and clothes for the day. Suits, shoes, belt and toiletries stay in locker at work. Initially I was worried that just one would feel out of balance but you adjust very quickly.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've been using Creek2Peak panniers for 4 years now & they are still going strong & they didn't brake the bank. Ok they might not me 100% waterproof, but if i need them waterproof, I just line them with a rubble sack :sad:

If you can afford it I'd go for Ortliebs, I was advised that and folk were right. They're probably the most waterproof and hard wearing ones out there. You'll have no problem carrying a Lap top and can get an insert for them if you need more protection. You'll have no problem fitting them on a Trek or any bike with a rack (I've hired a Trek hybrid a few times and adjusted them in seconds to fit). You'll have no problems either with heal strike, the panniers can be quickly adjusted (rotated) to avoid this.

I got a pair of cracking Carradice 'Super C' panniers with a waterproof liners off Ebay for £35. After a bit of of research one thing that always jumped out - dont get any with zips. You could always get a cushioned laptop liner form Poundland to give your laptop extra cushioning and protection.

Top Bottom