Panniers on road bike??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I went for a trunk bag (goes on top of the rack) as it creates less drag. The weight still affects you acceleration and affects the handling as the weight is high up.
I have been looking at these and would prefer one to a full set of panniers. However, I would need to fit my laptop and notes in it for college. Can you do this with yours Gaz?

Ride

I'd say be certain it is an aluminium or alloy rack and check its weight capacity. Topeak makes some nice ones. I've been using their Explorer Tubular Rack for about a year on all weather and haven't had any issues with it.

Ride

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I have been looking at these and would prefer one to a full set of panniers. However, I would need to fit my laptop and notes in it for college. Can you do this with yours Gaz?
Depends on the size of the laptop, look up the dimensions of the trunk bags and you can work out if yours will fit.

bobcat

Why not try a Carradice saddle bag, you can get a lot in and it is right behind you rather than to the side.

MisterStan

Label Required
I've got a rack and panniers on my road bike for commuting to college. Dinner, change of clothes, drink and a few other bits and bobs. Doesn't really affect handling as there isn't a lot of weight in it (apart from picking it up but that's to be expected) but my average speed does drop off by 2mph or so but over my 3.5 mile commute it makes no difference.

Make sure you get a decent rack though. A cheap one will fall to bits - I've got one of these: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tortec/tour-rack-ec005641

And these panniers: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/altura/arran-16-pannier-ec008437

16L each - perfect for commuting. Any more and you'll just pack stuff for the sake of it which is only going to slow you down. ^_^

Beware though - it might not fit (mine didn't) straight off the bat. You might need one of these if you need a higher mounting point for the arms: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19012

I use these, often just the one.... As mentioned, don't fill them if you don't need to.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Topeak do a laptop type bag for the MTX system. Quite a few of us use these MTX system bags - pretty good, but not waterproof, so will need to factor in a rain cover.

MisterStan

Label Required
I don't understand.... you didn't write anything! :laugh:
Bloody iPad....

lejogger

Guru
Certainly no issue with only having one pannier. In fact for commuting it makes much more sense to only have one bag to worry about than two if you can get everything in.
I've commuted for a good couple of years now with one Ortlieb that contains my full suit, shirt underwear and shoes, toiletries, and a towel. If I need to take anything additional - i.e a Wiggle return for lunchtime posting, or my laptop, then that goes in the other side, but for general everyday commuting just one is perfect. You get over the weight imbalance in the first half mile of riding, and then won't notice it again.

Ortliebs back rollers are great by the way. Totally waterproof, hard-wearing, and very spacious.

I use a Tubus rack. Also very good quality and lightweight.

Friendly place on here isn't it :smile:

There's places OP where you'd have been flayed alive for even asking the question or a super-boring ping-pong mock war would have ensued.

You might be interested in the Tubus Fly. (link below - other retailers available - got mine from Brixton Cycles.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tubus-fly-r...s++fly+broad&gclid=CMqHraXt1LECFTMhtAodFzEAhQ

Tortec do something similar and cheaper.

Nice minimalist lines - designed to just carrier panniers - no room for a rackpack thingy but you often don't need one - and panniers can be faster to put on and off - as anyone who has ever suffered my post pub faffing with my old velcro-mounted pack will attest.

Yes, best to generally get things off your back.

Drago

Legendary Member
Have a look at the Blackburn carriers. Quite a wide range, reasonably made, reasonably priced, lifetime guarantee. A reasonable middle ground choice.

Top Bottom