Panniers on road bike??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Is there any way to lock the panniers when leaving the bike unattended?
I really have no need to carry mini pump,spare tubes,patches,gloves etc etc around with me all day. Would be nice to leave that stuff with the bike. Pannier is a Decathlon own brand

Do you mean actually lock the panniers? or to the bike?
I used to put the lock through the handle of the pannier.

defy-one

I have cable tied the pannier to the rack and put cable ties over the clips aswell. More interested in being able to secure the contents within

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have cable tied the pannier to the rack and put cable ties over the clips aswell. More interested in being able to secure the contents within

There's no real way to actually lock a pannier unless they are one of those plastic lock box ones.

Crankarm

Guru
There's no real way to actually lock a pannier unless they are one of those plastic lock box ones.

Vaude panniers can be locked so they cannot be removed from a rack. It's in the hooks. But yes you are right the pannier bags themselves can't be locked. But then again if a TGB opens one of mine they are welcome to my smelly cycling gear, almost black bananas and other stuff in various stages of decay. The panniers are normally pretty heavy so they are unlikely to be making a quick getaway.

apc

I can highly recommend the following:

Topeak super tourist DX F/Disc rack
Topeak MTX trunk bag EXP side panniers

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
is it ok for a rack and panniers set on a road bike?
thinking of getting the full set up on the c2w scheme with boardman road race bike, sick of cycling with my heavy rucksack!!
You will need to use p clips or replace the seat post clamp with one with an extension for the pannier rack arms as the boardman road race does not have any upper bolt holes for a rack afaik, my comp does not them .If you decide to go for a seatpost rackbe awarethat the boardman has a 31.8 (?) seat post so you might have to make sure the rack fits oversize seat posts.
I use an older model virtuoso for commuting duties but i beleive the new model does nto have rack points either wheres the TDF does.

OP
OP
mikmurray

mikmurray

Regular
You will need to use p clips or replace the seat post clamp with one with an extension for the pannier rack arms as the boardman road race does not have any upper bolt holes for a rack afaik, my comp does not them .If you decide to go for a seatpost rackbe awarethat the boardman has a 31.8 (?) seat post so you might have to make sure the rack fits oversize seat posts.
I use an older model virtuoso for commuting duties but i beleive the new model does nto have rack points either wheres the TDF does.
aint going for the boardman now, found a cycle shop that will take halfords vouchers.....thank goodness.
thanks for the info though

Top Bottom