Panniers -- Some advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Magna said:
Can't wait to get my Ortliebs! Anyone got the backpack adapter?

I have got one! :biggrin: I've had mine for over a year now. Haven't used it yet, but I am SURE it will come in useful one day!! :rolleyes:

simoncc

I'm on Alturas now after the demise of my second set of Karrimors. My Karrimor sets, now defunct, lasted 13 and 12 years of touring and commuting respectively, and the Alturas seem of similar quality. I expect they'll lose their waterproofing after a year or so just like my Karrimors did, but a triple plastic bag lining is a cheap and totally effective solution to that problem. If you only want panniers for the occasional tour I'd go quite cheap and buy a roll of bin liners too. Why pay more?

Bigtallfatbloke

dont skimp...buy the best you can afford...you need them to last. My preference is for bright colours to add to your visability on the road...Ihave orange.

friedel

Magna said:
Can't wait to get my Ortliebs! Anyone got the backpack adapter?

We bought it before our trip and after trying it out a couple times decided it was -- quite unlike most Ortlieb products -- totally rubbish. It's really uncomfortable. Wouldn't recommend it at all. Just pack a small foldable backpack or bag.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got Dawes ones - that came with what I thought were waterproof covers, but to be honest I think they are just yellow covers - they definately aren't waterproof. Apart from the plastic bag liner, is there a way of making the bag more waterproof? (until I can save up for some Ortiebs;)).

davidwalton

I went with Arkel panniers as they do Recumbent specific ones. Went for the RT40, ( http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/rt40/overview.asp?fl=1&site=uk ) for the mid-ships rack, and will get the RT60, ( http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/rt60/overview.asp?fl=1&site=uk ) for the main rack. Also getting the rain covers for them as NOTHING is waterproof when out for long enough. Black Bin Liners will also be used inside.

Nothing against Ortlieb. Their range looks good, but designed for up-wrong cycles. See http://www.ortlieb.com/_browse.php?lang=en&tfile=radtasche for their full range.

mcd

I recommend Ortliebs (as if you needed any more recommendations) - I've had a pair of rear panniers for about 12 years. They've carried everything from the usual touring gear to weekly shopping, a chopped up Christmas tree to a ice & bottle of champagne! Both have a bit of wear & tear (popped rivet from overloading and a hole) repairs were simple and long lasting.

The only problem I've had is that at some point since I got them Ortlieb changed their buckles slightly, so when I got replacement straps they didn't fit the panner very well. That and, like friedel says, the backpack adaptor is rubbish. Small rucksack takes up less space & is more versatile & comfortable.

I've used the panniers for canoeing - not only to they keep your stuff dry, they float! If you do watersports (canoeing, kayaking, dingy sailing etc) a variation on Cathryn's suggestion is worth considering. Instead of bin liners, use a dry bag for the stuff that needs to stay dry.

davidwalton

mcd said:
I've used the panniers for canoeing - not only to they keep your stuff dry, they float! If you do watersports (canoeing, kayaking, dingy sailing etc) a variation on Cathryn's suggestion is worth considering. Instead of bin liners, use a dry bag for the stuff that needs to stay dry.

Not all of them float. Some specifically say they are NOT float proof. I would recommend checking before trying out float tests, especially with gear you need to keep dry.

Bin Liners are a cheap option at £12 for 200.

There is no such thing as waterproof, just degrees of water resistant. Where there is a hole, a zip, crack, or any imperfection, water WILL find a way. If you note, Ortlieb say their gear is Spraywater proof. All that I checked clearly stated that they are not underwater proof.

As good as they may be, don't expect or rely on them to be 100% waterproof.

bonj2

I would say BOAT might be a better option, with its own storage space, if you're planning on taking luggage across a body of water? Just a thought...

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
summerdays said:
I've got Dawes ones - that came with what I thought were waterproof covers, but to be honest I think they are just yellow covers - they definately aren't waterproof. Apart from the plastic bag liner, is there a way of making the bag more waterproof? (until I can save up for some Ortiebs;)).

Spray the covers with 'Nikwax' which should make them more waterproof. You buy it in decent sized bottles so you should be able to do it when it wears out after a while.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
summerdays said:

Plastic rubble sacks from DIY centres and builders merchants are durable and totally waterproof.

I've not got anything wet in the past four years of cycle camping. Rubble sacks are not expensive so you'e be able to save up for more waterproof pannier bags.

TwoTired

Hooray at last someone has spoken up for the humble plastic bag. With 30+ years touring behind me, I'm in full agreement - totally waterproof.
And they have a second useful function - to separate clean from dirty, fuel or suntan oil or tools, etc from whatever else.

And before anyone asks, yes I do own "waterproof" panniers. I dont use them much as I prefer panniers with external pockets.

I use Altura Orkneys, which come with a little cagoul of their own in a zipper pocket on top of each pannier. I never go touring without putting everything in plastic bags and taking hundreds of spare bags "just in case". This has saved me from getting my sleeping bag soaked in Stella when a can opened itself in the same pannier!
I've heard good things about Ortilebs, but I think Altura panniers are a bit cheaper. And they're very good.

strofiwimple

Veteran
It was about april 3 years ago i was in that well known cycle shop- lidl and they had a pair in wiv the name pro cycle on the side- £20 a pair- rollover top, totally waterproof and havent let me down since- if you arent in a hurry it might be worth waiting to see if they get them in again this year.

bonj2

lidl aren't a "well known cycle shop". They're a bargain store that happen to sometimes sell a smattering of value cycle gear.

Top Bottom