Panorama Now - truth about sports products

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Back to the recovery drinks. When I was young and didn't know better I bought a protein recovery drink powder from Boots (Boots own brand.. trustworthy eh!) You mixed it up with milk, and it tasted OK. When I checked the list of contents (protein, carbs, vits etc) and compared it to the list on the side of the milk carton I saw that 90% of the stuff they were claiming for it actually came from the milk. So very expensive milk shake then. Now I just drink the milk neat after a big session.

Peteaud

Veteran
The High5 powder mix works for me really well, but only bother on longer runs.

Always keep a gel and or a powerbar handy just in case, again only on longer runs

Each to their own, everyones different.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I am careful about carb consumption and so the Zero sugar/carb elecgtrolyte tabs are my thing.

I shudder when I see parents buying little Johnny and Melissa great bottles of Sports Drinks after a bit of exercise, the sugar contents are horrific. My two both use High 5 to hydrate on long sessions. As for Sports Drinks some of you say they don't do any good, I personally believe they are harmful to young people simply because of the massive sugar intake.

The kids' school has banned sports and energy drinks altogether, citing afternoon sugar rush as the main enemy to classroom discipline. I still see many kids on teir way to school drinking Monster Energy or Lucozade.

Norm

I use Zero tablets in water for both cycling and hillwalking; I can't say that they give me extra energy or endurance, but they certainly stop the cramp in my legs that I used to suffer from. That alone makes them worthwhile.
This for me too, although I also prefer the taste of Zero'd water to plain water.

RhythMick

Über Member
Is anyone aware if there have been any properly designed and executed independent studies of whether these products have any effect or not ? I mean proper sample sizes, stratified sampling, double-blind studies ?

I suspect a) no real studies with any conclusive (published and peer-viewed) and b) different things would work for different people anyway.

Personally I like to take in lots of water and cycling is an excuse to eat jelly babies. :-)

I did have a go at making my own energy gel which I carried in squeezy bottles with non-return valves. Think my wife pretty much gave up on me at that point. Tasty though.

Top Bottom