Paper rounds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
I don't think enough people buy papers now to sustain many decent paper rounds .

wormo

Guru
My mum and dad ran a newsagents in the 70s & 80s. I did rounds from well before I was 10 until I was at least 18. I would do mainly the morning rounds and sundays but also cover for any absences. As others have said did them in all weathers. Remember once having to stop part way round as was so cold and wet. My hands were so cold I couldn't fold the papers.

Hated the sunday round as the papers were so thick. I remember one guy had all the broadsheets and most of the tabloids.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Really? ?

I am a sailmaker in one of Europes largest sail lofts. During the financial crisis I washed windows, cut grass, painted. All at my place of work. Because orders were low. I had no complaints at all. Would I go and get the boss a sandwich? Of course I would. I would assume he was doing something more important. Like keeping the company going. At our place everyone mucks in where they can and we are all treat well.

Its why its a great place to work and we are so sucessful.

It's a "work placement". The idea of which is to give the pupil a taster for a business that they may have an interest in. Getting a work placement schoolkid to go and get sandwiches is taking the piss. The employer of a work placee is supposed to be helping the pupil, not treating them as free labour

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We get work placements at our place and they learn a lot. They also learn that on occasions they have to pitch in and do the unexpected. That can be making coffee or fetching sandwiches. If they think that is beneath them they wouldnt fit in with us. We take quite a few of our placements on. Its not taking the pxss. Its shows them what a real working enviroment is like.

U

User169

We get work placements at our place and they learn a lot. They also learn that on occasions they have to pitch in and do the unexpected. That can be making coffee or fetching sandwiches. If they think that is beneath them they wouldnt fit in with us. We take quite a few of our placements on. Its not taking the pxss. Its shows them what a real working enviroment is like.

Assuming the CEO “pitched in” and fetched the sarnies now and again I suppose this might make some sense. Does he/she have the time to wipe their own arse?

Last edited by a moderator:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Really? ?

I am a sailmaker in one of Europes largest sail lofts. During the financial crisis I washed windows, cut grass, painted. All at my place of work. Because orders were low. I had no complaints at all. Would I go and get the boss a sandwich? Of course I would. I would assume he was doing something more important. Like keeping the company going. At our place everyone mucks in where they can and we are all treat well.

Its why its a great place to work and we are so sucessful.

Hah! I have owned a few Elvstrom in my life. Used one in a World Championship in 1989 in Yokohama. Sweet memories.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

If we're getting the butties in, it usually because we're busy and need to get stuff done - which means it's whoever's best placed to break off. That's often members of the management team so the productives can focus on work.

I've no problem with going for sandwiches, or coffee, or anything else, if I'm best placed to do it.

I had a paper round as soon as I was old enough to get one - it included the last houses up North Hill in Minehead in each of 3 directions. One Christmas there was a wrapped present on the doorstep of the home of a mate of my older brother, with my name on it. I resisted the temptation to open it, and carried it all the way around then back home, where I excitedly unwrapped.... a house brick! Thank you, Mr Gurnett!

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Assuming the CEO “pitched in” and fetched the sarnies now and again I suppose this might make some sense. Does he/she have the time to wipe their own arse?
Our CEO spent an afternoon serving the BBQ for the entire company in the summer. He also takes workers out on his boat at weekends. He chips in just like everyone else.

Brains

Legendary Member

Many CEO's do pitch in.
That is the reason they are the CEO's

(Granted there are many who sit in ivory towers, but they tend to be those parachuted in, not people who have worked their way up)

Top Bottom