Paper rounds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
At work I get to deal with the newbies.
Many arrive straight from University.
For nearly all of them it's their first experience of real work, and for many it's a shock.

We had one lad last summer who lasted about 2 weeks.
He told his boss he had no right to order him around.
He was given one last order.

My brother (boss of a large company) had an even better one a couple of years ago.
A person on first day of school work placement was asked to go out and get a sandwich for the boss.
The reply was " Who do you think I am ? your servant of summat? Go get it yourself"

You can bet that went down well with the school !

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I had one for 4 years. 12-16 .
It was for a local shop so I didn't collect the money....less tips.

Carried a heavy bag of papers 6 mornings a week.
Lighter load for the evening papers.

I still live nearby and cycle most of my run most days.

Yep, me too 1978-1980, then got a milk round & 7 days a week, Sunday papers a sod to carry due to all the blasted supplements!.

For nearly all of them it's their first experience of real work, and for may it's a shock.

My brother (boss of a large company) had an even better one a couple of years ago.
A person on first day of school work placement was asked to go out and get a sandwich for the boss.
The reply was " Who do you think I am ? your servant of summat? Go get it yourself"

My son is a junior doctor. The first day of employment after 7 years at university, he saved someone's life. He's never had a paper round.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
In the 1950’s I got 15 shillings per week for a paper round 6 days per week in Helensburgh. Not sure of distance but it a pretty spread out town on a slope.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
For nearly all of them it's their first experience of real work, and for many it's a shock.

To be fair, if a child of mine came home from a school work placement and told me he'd been told to get a sandwich for the boss I'd be right onto the school. There to learn how to work, not be someone's servant

Brains

Legendary Member
To be fair, if a child of mine came home from a school work placement and told me he'd been told to get a sandwich for the boss I'd be right onto the school. There to learn how to work, not be someone's servant

The job is a 'Runner'
Their responsibility is to deliver and pick up stuff internally and externally.
In the old days you would have been called the 'Postboy' in the office.

My first proper job was a postboy for a large City company.
It involved doing everything from delivering bags of cash to ship captains in the docks to picking up the bosses wife's dry cleaning,
(and getting sandwiches).
It was the way you learnt how business works.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My dad who had a few companies in the 70s went to pick up a new starter in his transit..
Guy got in the van and started rolling a fag..
Dad asked him if he smokes tipped fags?
No just roll ups..
Dad told him I don't pay people to sit rolling fags all day and that was that.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Really? ?

I am a sailmaker in one of Europes largest sail lofts. During the financial crisis I washed windows, cut grass, painted. All at my place of work. Because orders were low. I had no complaints at all. Would I go and get the boss a sandwich? Of course I would. I would assume he was doing something more important. Like keeping the company going. At our place everyone mucks in where they can and we are all treat well.

Its why its a great place to work and we are so sucessful.

Classic!
You couldn’t make it up!

Top Bottom