paper towel or hand-drier...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
...which is more environmentally-friendly when drying your hands in the toilet? I think it's the paper but I'm really not sure. There's a lot of factors involved in the disposal (recycling?) of used paper towels.

Your thoughts please.

(yes, I am very bored today...)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
maybe the kind of drier that shuts off automatically. or perhaps the old fashioned towel on a roll (if not as hygienic).

or are the folk that go for a dump and don't wash their hands doing the planet a favour ;)

U

User482

Believe it or not, there was a Life Cycle Assessment done on this very issue, but I'm afraid I can't find the link. I do remember that it concluded that hot air dryers were better in terms of the total energy consumed. What the report didn't say though was that hot air dryers don't actually work, leaving you to finish drying your hands on your trousers.

That said the new Dyson ones are brilliant.

User482 said:
Believe it or not, there was a Life Cycle Assessment done on this very issue, but I'm afraid I can't find the link. I do remember that it concluded that hot air dryers were better in terms of the total energy consumed. What the report didn't say though was that hot air dryers don't actually work, leaving you to finish drying your hands on your trousers.

That said the new Dyson ones are brilliant.

Was the Life Cycle Assessment done on the life of the bugs on your trousers?

U

User482

Patrick Stevens said:
Was the Life Cycle Assessment done on the life of the bugs on your trousers?

I only wash my hands in imported mineral water. ;)

hubgearfreak

Über Member
User482 said:
What the report didn't say though was that hot air dryers don't actually work, leaving you to finish drying your hands on your trousers

haha, warm air elbow wetters:biggrin:

it would depend enormously on whether the paper towels were delivered by unique journey (as in an office setting)..in which case the w.a.e.w. would win, or if the towels were collected at the wholesalers along with the rest of the stock, as a pub or cafe may do, in which case the difference may be marginal.
also, do we take it that people make the most of one towel, or slightly dampen 2, 3, 4 or even more?

stevenb

The ladies toilets at work have paper towels and hand driers so Im told.
Whereas the blokes toilets only have paper towels....strange....so no option for us gents at work.

jonesy

Guru
Does Makka Pakka's Uff Uff count as a hand-drier?i

makka-pakka1.gif

bonj2

What would be better for the climate is if they made hand dryers so that the time it stays on for isn't only 0.8 times the amount of time needed to dry your hands. They think they're saving energy by having a short cycle, but everyone just presses the button again setting it off on another cycle, which they waste most of.

Top Bottom