1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Para cycling fatality in Rio

Discussion in 'Adaptive and Disabled Cycling' started by shouldbeinbed, 17 Sep 2016.

1. shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed Rollin' along

2. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...llowing-crash-rio-paralympic-road-race-284841
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/iranian-paralympic-cyclist-dies-after-road-race-crash/
    and many more very similar reports based on either the press release or the AP report.

Not really many more details. Was it televised? It would be good to know how this tragedy happened.

3. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

When you compete on the edge then horrible accidents can happen in any sport. A kid in my school died after being clouted in the eye with a cricket ball. I don't like some of the media stuff saying it was a 'para" injury. It was a sports injury. People being excellent run the risk of consequences,whether they are olympians, paralympians, or normal joes.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2016
  4. Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded. Staff Member

:sad: an elite sports person dies doing what he loved.

RIP

3narf likes this.
  5. hopless500

hopless500 Trundling along

6. Very sad. But after watching the crashes in the mountain stretches during the Olympics this does not come as a complete surprise.

He may have died doing what he loved but on a course like that we could have had multiple deaths and people would then be asking how the course was ever allowed to be used.

7. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Über Member

A couple of cartloads of straw bales could have solved the dangerous drainage channels that offer sharp concrete edges to any cyclist sliding on a mountain corner.

jonny jeez likes this.
  8. Mrs M

Mrs M Veteran

That's very sad news.

9. fimm

fimm Veteran

Very shocking and sad. Condolences to his family.

However, point of information from the BBC Report:
    "The Vista Chinesa circuit, which included a treacherous descent where Annemiek van Vleuten of the Netherlands crashed and sustained concussion during the Olympics, was not part of the Paralympic course."

10. The 'controversial' parts of the Olympic RR route were not used.

Tin Pot, steveindenmark and coffeejo like this.
  11. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Sad news, RIP

12. The BBC report says that they were.

Edit...Apologies, I misread. You are correct.

wicker man likes this.
  13. Awful news.

14. This was my initial reaction. I started a thread with similar comment after Annies crash. However it seems that these sections were not part of Bahmans route.

Condolences to his family and friends.

15. Thanks for pointing that out. I was unaware of it.

jonny jeez and wicker man like this.