1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Para cycling fatality in Rio

Discussion in 'Adaptive and Disabled Cycling' started by shouldbeinbed, 17 Sep 2016.

1. Eddy

Eddy Guru

The crash was on the flat near the finish, I saw it but never realised it was fatal , a coming together with another rider , nothing to do with the course .
    Reports saying the rider died of a Heart attack .

2. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Heart attack after crashing though? Reports seemed to say it was on the first hill circuit but if it was just a typical peloton pile-up then I think everyone knows about them about as well as we ever will and not much extra can be learnt.

Eddy likes this.
  3. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

As there doesn't appear to have been any other televised coverage than the finish line, are you sure you haven't confused Bahman's accident with the crash between Dementyev and Donohoe?

4. Slick

Slick Über Member

Lost a leg from the Iraq Iran war. Imagine surviving that, to loose your life cycling, all be it at the highest level. Jackie Stewart didn't assume it was inevitable that if you competed at the highest level death was almost inevitable.

Condolences to all that knew him.

5. Eddy

Eddy Guru

Maybe ,I saw it on twitter and it said the guy died later in hospital , in the crash you mention did one of them get knocked out and the other ran to the line without his bike ?

6. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

Yes, that's the one. Dementyev left on the deck (deservedly), Donohoe ran to the line.

Eddy likes this.
  7. fimm

fimm Veteran

TMN to me?

8. 3narf

3narf For whom the bell dings

It's a terribly sad thing.

I agree; fatalities in any particular event shouldn't be considered inevitable. However, I think on the whole, fatalities in sport are inevitable...

RIP