Paracetamol does not relieve back pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
On the subject of Voltarol...i always buy mine when on holiday abroard. Spain, Turkey for instance you buy Voltaraine (their brand name) for about £2 a box of 20 x 50mg. Here, you buy 8 tablets of 25mg and it costs an arm and a leg. Rip off Britain again. (prices quoted are rough, but it is VERY cheap out there). Last time i came back, i brought about 200 tablets, they last me forever, i'll often just take half a tablet.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Off work yesterday and today due to back and neck pain. Ibuprofen is my usual, but stayed off painkillers it this time due to the fact I seem to over extend myself. I think mine is muscular due to my job (every bit of helpful machinery we use for lifting and transporting is broken with no sign of the company fixing them for the foreseeable). Back to work tomorrow.

I have only seen the news report but I see it as a call to go down the exercise route rather than just masking the symptoms with painkillers. They were talking about general lower back pain not as a result of other issues.

I have had lower back pain for about 5 years. I do not take any drugs but have been to an osteopath to get is re set (worked well for me but not my wife) and I also go to Pilates twice a week.
Most exercise (cycling included) tends to build up your limbs in some way but not do much for your core muscles. I realised mine were really weak when I started Pilates. I am now much stronger and that strength holds the posture better and stops the issues that cause the pain. Also it has quite a bit of yoga type stretching which also helps.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I laid about 3000 of these blocks this week and last..
Does take its toll on the old back

20150401_101849.jpg

clid61

Veteran
. I was in agony and the doc' gave me some pills labelled DF118.

Oh yes!!!!!!!! i was on them in the early 90s , dislocated hip and shattered pelvis , happy days indeed :tongue:

vickster

Legendary Member
Dyhydrocodeine, still available. I've had in co-dydramol format recently (with paracetamol) and neat for dreadful toothache in the past. I certainly wouldn't drive after the full fat version :wacko:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
I was in agony and the doc' gave me some pills labelled DF118.
Had those too. Took two and slept for 16 hours, which was wonderful but then I was good for nowt for a week afterwards.

Paracetomol worked for me. I must have been the placebo effect which won't work any more cos now I'll convince myself that they don't work. If they hadn't published this study those of us who were fooling ourselves could have carried on using them effectively in blissful ignorance.

gbb

Legendary Member
You can't buy Voltarol tablets over the counter in the UK. Diclofenac (the active ingredient in Voltarol tablets) is a POM in tablet form in the UK.

You could until mid Jan, but only a few at a time and a lower dose

http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.c...nac-from-uk-pharmacy-shelves/20067579.article

As @Ganymede posted earlier elsewhere
Wow, I didn't know that. All the more reason to stock up abroad then.
Stupid given the pharma journal story ?...nah, I maybe take on average 2 tablets a week, I don't think i'm going to keel over at that dosage. Voltarol is the only thing ive ever found that works for me.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I burst a disc in my back some 30+ years ago. I was in agony and the doc' gave me some pills labelled DF118

They were so 'good' that had I a plentiful supply I'd have never worked again and by now would bobbing around on the yacht, bought by my ill gotten gains, somewhere warm!

I remember when I started my nurse training assuming that the name DF118 indicated a complex chemical composition.....something like Dichloral Fentanazone (This was my imaginary name for it)
It actually got its name as it was the 118th medicine manufactured by Duncan and Flockhart!
It is an opioid called Dihydrocodeine. Similar in effect to Codeine.
As already cautioned by others NSAID medicines (Diclofenac also called Voltarol and Ibuprofen also known as Brufen being the commonest two) can cause gastric erosions as they are very acidic - taking them with or immediately after food can reduce the risk of gastric side effects - but can also reduce the efficacy. If you are taking NSAIDs and start to get heartburn/indigestion you should discontinue taking the NSAID and seek medical advice.

Top Bottom