Paranoid rider... ever happened to you ?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by madguern, 20 Apr 2010.

1. madguern

madguern Active Member

Was on the ride home last night riding at a fair old lick when I was passed by one of the local Velo club. He overtook me when i was at about 20mph and rode off into the distance. Dent to my confidence as I felt recently been riding quite well, however .....

Tonight on same route heard the click of the wheel behind me and thought , NOT tonight you don't ..... So I dug deep and got up to 27 mph , lungs bursting and the click faded into the distance. Confidence high again looked behind me to lord it over my lycra clad assailant and found an old guy on an old mountain bike about half a mile down the road looking bewildered.

So next time look before I leap ;-)

2. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Nice one, burning off pensioners. Good story.

3. Mark_Robson

Mark_Robson Senior Member

:smile: you showed him who was the daddy, or the grandaddy in his case!

4. :smile::biggrin:

Been there I'm afraid

5. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

so an old duffer on a doubtless shagged mtb caught you and would have passed you without your maximum effort?

and even after your maximum effort he was close enough for his expression to be seen?

20/27mph? yeah right

tsk

6. Moodyman

Moodyman Guru

20/27mph? yeah right

You've been caught out Madguern.

7. NigC

NigC New Member

I think that was me behind you :laugh:

Actually, I've been in almost the reverse situation a few time: Do I overtake or not? You know you're catching a cyclist in front - gradually hauling him in. But you also know that when you overtake, you've only going to go a little faster than he is and most likely look an idiot for overtaking :wacko: So do you overtake and bust a gut to make it look like you've been going at that speed all along, or do you hold back and cycle at their pace?

I've noticed a few times when I've overtaken the same guy whilst going down a particularly steep hill (I always pedal down instead of free-wheeling it). A little further down the road, he just HAS to make a point and overtake me again - I'm 40 (something), overweight and unfit - I guess he can't let that one slide :smile:

8. Vikeonabike

Vikeonabike CC Neighbourhood Police Constable

Hey don't feel so bad, at least you shook the old bloke off.....Team Sky couldn't manage it....
    Old boy drafting team sky

9. Matty

Matty Well-Known Member

A scalp is a scalp!

10. Armegatron

Armegatron Active Member

Brilliant :laugh:

11. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Look behind yourself more often? Sounds like fail of looking enough to me.

12. OP
    OP
    madguern

madguern Active Member

He caught me because i was enjoying the moment, sun out and felt good :-) Grant me some artistic license he was way off in the distance to be fair ! The route I take has a number of different cyclists hence never quite sure who it behind you until the final mo !

I also know the dude as I often cycle along with him in the morning for a chat hence he told me today what had he done :-)

13. bauldbairn

bauldbairn New Member

:smile: - Brilliant!

I kept waiting for the old boy to pull-out and overtake them - I recon he could've had them if he'd wanted. :thumbsup: - :biggrin:

14. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

That reminds me of the start of 'Kings of the Mountains' by Matt Rendell!

(If you haven't read it, the first 3 paragraphs of Chapter 1 tell the story of how a teenager with a milk churn tied into the basket of his heavy butcher's bike sneaks into a pro team's training ride in the mountains of Colombia, gets told to "sod off" and retaliates by going to the front and stringing them out into a breathless line!)

15. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

The 1st tour of britain in 2003(?),1st stage in manchester. I was on me fixie in plain black gear. I decided to try and get on the back of the peloton and was doing OK (about 10M back) going down Alan Turing way when a police outrider starts screaming at me to leave the race.......how did he know i wasn't part of the race I wonder?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice