Paranoid rider... ever happened to you ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madguern

Was on the ride home last night riding at a fair old lick when I was passed by one of the local Velo club. He overtook me when i was at about 20mph and rode off into the distance. Dent to my confidence as I felt recently been riding quite well, however .....

Tonight on same route heard the click of the wheel behind me and thought , NOT tonight you don't ..... So I dug deep and got up to 27 mph , lungs bursting and the click faded into the distance. Confidence high again looked behind me to lord it over my lycra clad assailant and found an old guy on an old mountain bike about half a mile down the road looking bewildered.

So next time look before I leap ;-)

Nice one, burning off pensioners. Good story.

Tynan

Veteran
so an old duffer on a doubtless shagged mtb caught you and would have passed you without your maximum effort?

and even after your maximum effort he was close enough for his expression to be seen?

20/27mph? yeah right

tsk

NigC

I think that was me behind you :laugh:

Actually, I've been in almost the reverse situation a few time: Do I overtake or not? You know you're catching a cyclist in front - gradually hauling him in. But you also know that when you overtake, you've only going to go a little faster than he is and most likely look an idiot for overtaking :wacko: So do you overtake and bust a gut to make it look like you've been going at that speed all along, or do you hold back and cycle at their pace?

I've noticed a few times when I've overtaken the same guy whilst going down a particularly steep hill (I always pedal down instead of free-wheeling it). A little further down the road, he just HAS to make a point and overtake me again - I'm 40 (something), overweight and unfit - I guess he can't let that one slide :smile:

Matty

A scalp is a scalp!

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

Tynan said:
so an old duffer on a doubtless shagged mtb caught you and would have passed you without your maximum effort?

and even after your maximum effort he was close enough for his expression to be seen?

20/27mph? yeah right

tsk

He caught me because i was enjoying the moment, sun out and felt good :-) Grant me some artistic license he was way off in the distance to be fair ! The route I take has a number of different cyclists hence never quite sure who it behind you until the final mo !

I also know the dude as I often cycle along with him in the morning for a chat hence he told me today what had he done :-)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Vikeonabike said:
Hey don't feel so bad, at least you shook the old bloke off.....Team Sky couldn't manage it....
Old boy drafting team sky
That reminds me of the start of 'Kings of the Mountains' by Matt Rendell!

(If you haven't read it, the first 3 paragraphs of Chapter 1 tell the story of how a teenager with a milk churn tied into the basket of his heavy butcher's bike sneaks into a pro team's training ride in the mountains of Colombia, gets told to "sod off" and retaliates by going to the front and stringing them out into a breathless line!)

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Vikeonabike said:
Hey don't feel so bad, at least you shook the old bloke off.....Team Sky couldn't manage it....
Old boy drafting team sky

The 1st tour of britain in 2003(?),1st stage in manchester. I was on me fixie in plain black gear. I decided to try and get on the back of the peloton and was doing OK (about 10M back) going down Alan Turing way when a police outrider starts screaming at me to leave the race.......how did he know i wasn't part of the race I wonder?

Top Bottom