Parents/grandparents charging family for christmas meal....yes/no ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
On R2 just now.
Grandparents charging £15-18 per head (reduced for children).
Their reasoning is that people bring various food items which are unwanted or duplicated etc so its better to say "bring nothing" and make a charge.
Never heard of it but it makes some sense.
What think you ?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Think its not true personally. Most people would ask family members what they needed to bring so its not unwanted or duplicated etc. I think this is made up for something to talk about.

tom73

Guru
My mate has a big family and they all go round to his parents. They work out a menu and who will cook what before hand. So no issue with too much of same thing. On the day they just go round and who ever is down to cook what get's on with it.

postman

Legendary Member
We had been going to Lancashire for decades.Due to the mother in law not being well.Sadly she died.But us another sister our two kids we all got instructions what to bring,shared costs and were given jobs on Xmas morning or Xmas eve.Mine was all the veg.Sister put the bird in the oven,set the table,wine server,i washed up.Mrs P cooked,Father in law carved,we worked as a team, kids keep the mother in law amused keep her out of the small kitchen newspapers fit for one thing wiping up crap.

si_c

Guru
So someone on R2 is complaining like a child about having to contribute to a family meal where otherwise they just turn up and eat after their parents have spent hours cooking and cleaning and preparing what can be a very expensive day for them.

Say it isn't so.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've split the bill before at Christmas on my wife's side. Thats when there has been loads of us. My wife will likely give her suster some cash as we are going there this year. We did last Christmas for 10 or so and its not cheap (we covered the cost).

T4tomo

Legendary Member
One year I went back to my Mum & Dads for a few days over Xmas and mum was showing me where various food things were on the 23rd and i was like "yeah whatever" and then she went onto to say "I'm working a night shift xmas eve so I'll be up around noon, but make sure you're organised to have everything cooked and ready for 1pm lunch as there will be 14 of us!"

It all worked out fine! At least she got up and set the table and to be fair one of my sisters came over early and gave me a hand with the veg.

Alex321

Veteran
Wouldn't dream of charging if any of the kids come to us for Christmas, nor have any of them ever suggested charging us when we go to them.

But it woyld rarely just be for the day anyhow

Top Bottom