Parents/grandparents charging family for christmas meal....yes/no ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have never met my grandparents as they died before I arrived.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
We all take something as a contribution e.g. puddings or drinks. It's all discussed way before the event so no-one brings duplicates.

The law for us is, if you're offering to host then you buy the meat and veg etc. I can understand someone charging if everyone is skint i.e. "I'll get the food in but can you give me half?"

£18 a head is too much, and if it doesn't sound true then it probably isn't.

gbb

Legendary Member
Dont believe everything you read in the papers. Most of it is junk to draw fools in.
Absolutely. Probably more a case of Joe Winterbottom from Castleford (I just made that up ) is skint and can't or won't afford to pay for it so charges . Of course there will be occasional instances like that...but the media have found something, anything to pick up on, expand it all out of proportion....and away we go.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Nor that one! It's gonna be a bumper Xmas for me!

A ULEZ zone for people eating too many sprouts?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Dont believe everything you read in the papers. Most of it is junk to draw fools in.

probably... the truth may be that the grandparents run a restaurant and the people they were charging are parents yet neither party is related to one another... so technically, the headline could be correct, just slightly misleading. :rolleyes:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
What's always been more important in our family is everyone helping out. I'd be out helping Dad with the cows so he can come indoors a bit earlier (11ish), and I'd chop enough wood for the day. Gran would help mum prepare the veg. After we'd all eaten, everyone was expected to help with the washing up; we had an Aunt who would always just go in the lounge and it wasn't well received at all. We only got to open our presents after lunch when all the clearing up had been done.

So there is payment involved in a way; people's time. And if you don't help out with something then you're considered a freeloader!

Gwylan

Veteran
Don't forget to charge for parking, too, after all, it is the season of goodwill! 🎄

What a load of old tosh. Just, as said, decide who might want to bring/cook what. Or maybe bring a couple of bottles of plonk.

The 19% optional service charge and staff gratuity might get a reaction though

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Asking for payment is a bit bad, unless those being asked are taking the pee and not taking turns at making Christmas dinner. Having said that, if the guests do the host many favours throughout the year then making a free meal for them once a year is a fair swap.

Top Bottom