Paris becomes another 30 kph capital

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Germans got it right. They built autobahns where 70% had no mandatory speed limits and when you hit city centre, most people are on bikes and on foot.

Sadly of all the people Hitler drove it's construction.
Although the original purpose of the autobahns was to be able to move military personnel and materiele around the country very quickly. This is also the reaon the original US interstate network as built, and is deliberately dimensioned to be able to accommodate transports carrying tanks.

Although the original purpose of the autobahns was to be able to move military personnel and materiele around the country very quickly. This is also the reaon the original US interstate network as built, and is deliberately dimensioned to be able to accommodate transports carrying tanks.

Weren't they also designed as additional landing strips for aircraft?

Drago

Legendary Member
Weren't they also designed as additional landing strips for aircraft?
You know, Ive never thought of that. Entirely possible, particularly as certain aircraft are specifically designed to be able to launch from improvised road airstrips, like the A10.

Indeed, theres a road near me, eerily straight. Locals like @PeteXXX know it, the one between the Army reseve centre on Yardley Chase, which was a munitions deport during the war, and Brafield on the Green. T'was built during the war to allow Lysanders to land there.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
+ presidential cavalcades!

You know, Ive never thought of that. Entirely possible, particularly as certain aircraft are specifically designed to be able to launch from improvised road airstrips, like the A10.

Indeed, theres a road near me, eerily straight. Locals like @PeteXXX know it, the one between the Army reseve centre on Yardley Chase, which was a munitions deport during the war, and Brafield on the Green. T'was built during the war to allow Lysanders to land there.

I recall reading something about it, I'm fairly sure it referred to Germany, the US and some other places. Seemingly some have collapsible lighting columns to help facilitate the landing/take off.

Wow that's insightful. Thanks for that. Explains why Hitler was keen on it. And also why US Army Corp of Engineers were involved in the early years.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The A696 has 'grasscrete' verges to accommodate tank movements from Otterburn camp through to the A1[M]... and the signs and lighting and traffic islands have been set out to be quickly taken down too.

I had a pillion ride in Chaing Mai, Thailand; for various reasons we found it necessary to transport some bathroom tiles and four paint tins across the town and I ended up carrying two tins while gripping the pillion grips. The other two were in the luggage basket at the front of the moped and one leaked, so we laid a white line all the way across the city.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
My village has a 30mph limit. There are speed bumps throughout. Cars still drive through at approx. 40mph after turning into the village from the roundabout off the 50mph dual carriageway (where most drivers average 60mph). Most drivers never stop at the two zebra crossings - one is directly outside the primary school. As a number of people in the village asked what could be done, the parish council responded by erecting two Vehicle Activated Speed Signs. Unfortunately, so as 'not to detract from the beauty of the village' they are compact and mounted discreetly - in other words they are tiny, not visible and completely useless, a box-ticking exercise. When I complained about cars failing to stop at zebra crossings, I was told in essence that they couldn't do anything about it until someone was hit by a car failing to stop at the crossing!

In 2019, I wrote to the primary school (both of my kids were there then) asking them to ask the kids to join in on Sustrans' Big Pedal campaign to promote active travel and a healthy environment. I offered to do it myself, if they didn't have the time as I can appreciate they are busy and do not need an additional job - they would support by simply copying and pasting then sending an email to parents (I would write it, they could proofread) and I would be happy to talk to the kids under staff supervision, etc. My request was ignored and each time I tried to follow up, the staff were conveniently unavailable. I even had my kids personally hand copies of my letter to their teachers and headteacher. Again, nothing, not interested.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A friend once got a pillion ride from central Exeter to central Plymouth on a Honda Fireblade. 20 minutes. Look up the distance and do the maths. He never got on a motorbike again - he said it was like the Millennium Falcon jumping into hyperspace, when everything turns to streaks.
46 miles in 20 minutes. That makes the average speed over 90mph and I suspect that means pushing 140 for sustained periods of time. @Drago may know more but I think that means an official stopping distance of well over 300m and even if their eyesight can spot a hazard at that distanec, I bet not that much of the A38 has 300m forwards visibility, so really, the person we need never to get a motorbike again is its pilot not the pillion... but I suspect that they won't have lasted long riding like that!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What part of the A10 is suitable as an improvised road airstrip? One of the bits where it's the old Roman road Ermine Street further south? North of Cambridge, you'd be better off trying a straight on the A134, A1122 or A1101 but I think trees would break the wings on most bits. So I guess that's a secondary reason to build motorways, which are wider and have fewer trees close alongside... but the bridge piers will probably prevent use of lots of bits.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
46 miles in 20 minutes. That makes the average speed over 90mph and I suspect that means pushing 140 for sustained periods of time. @Drago may know more but I think that means an official stopping distance of well over 300m and even if their eyesight can spot a hazard at that distanec, I bet not that much of the A38 has 300m forwards visibility, so really, the person we need never to get a motorbike again is its pilot not the pillion... but I suspect that they won't have lasted long riding like that!
The A38 is all pretty high-grade dual carriageway between the two cities, but you've still got to negotiate the town bits at either end.

Top Bottom