Paris-Brest-Paris 18-22 August 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Particular points to note for those unfamiliar with this event:
  • ACP believe that without a pre-qualifier (in 2018) you are unlikely to get a place, the longer your pre-qualifier the earlier you can secure your place.
  • Pre-qualifying rides do not count towards your qualifying SR series which has to be in first half of 2019 (in UK at least, special arrangements may apply in the Antipodes)

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
At the ACP presentation they said that, if their projections are correct, a 400km pre-qualifier will almost certainly be sufficient to get you a place.

However last time round there was certainly an advantage to having as long as possible a pre-qualifier in that it enabled you to have first choice of start time. That's really only an issue if you are a 90h rider - as the start waves go off from 18:00 and continue for several hours. If they do it the same way this time, then my guess is that a 1000km will give you the option of getting away before 19:00 - if you want to.

I don't know if I shall go for it this time, but if I do, my plan is to avoid needing to sleep at Loudeac. Fetched up there on both the Monday and Tuesday nights last time, and it was a hideous time-suck.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks for the heads-up!
I should like to declare that my intention is not to enter.... ever, on account if not being mad enough to ride 400km let alone any further AND on the wrong side of the road.
Thank you.

Oh go on. Last time I hadn't pre-qualified so went for an 80 hour start. It was an enjoyable ride.

This time I'm not sure if I'll be fit enough. Even if I am I'll be in with the bulge but will do my usual 'no sleep until half-way' ride to Brest, hopefully riding through the bulge. Unless I'm on a Raleigh Twenty when speed won't matter a jot.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Oh go on. Last time I hadn't pre-qualified so went for an 80 hour start. It was an enjoyable ride.

This time I'm not sure if I'll be fit enough. Even if I am I'll be in with the bulge but will do my usual 'no sleep until half-way' ride to Brest, hopefully riding through the bulge. Unless I'm on a Raleigh Twenty when speed won't matter a jot.
I might consider joining you on a Twenty....

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've missed out on the past three editions of PBP for various reasons. Let's see if I can at least get to the start line this time... I have mixed feelings about PBP, to be honest - it's the flagship event of the international audax calendar but the route doesn't inspire me and there are other long rides that have greater appeal. It's a box that needs to be ticked though.

I've entered the West Highlands 1000km in May so that should do for pre-qualifying at least.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
The http://www.aukweb.net/events/pbp/ has been updated to show the qualification windows.
So - just to summarise:
Now to October 2018: Ride your longest possible BRM as pre-qualifier
January - March 2019: Pre-registration (exact date depends on length of your prequalifier)
January - June 2019: Ride SR series as qualifier (BRMs only) in the relevant windows- these are coloured pink** on aukweb calendar page but you can also use overseas BRMs
1 June - 3 July 2019: Registration

** Yes, there is only one so far: an easy 'starter for 10'... well OK, starter for 200 really.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I might consider joining you on a Twenty....

Advance notice @Fab Foodie ... I'm picking this up tomorrow :tongue:

twenty.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've missed out on the past three editions of PBP for various reasons. Let's see if I can at least get to the start line this time... I have mixed feelings about PBP, to be honest - it's the flagship event of the international audax calendar but the route doesn't inspire me and there are other long rides that have greater appeal. It's a box that needs to be ticked though.
It's not the route.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks for the heads-up!
I should like to declare that my intention is not to enter.... ever, on account if not being mad enough to ride 400km let alone any further AND on the wrong side of the road.
Thank you.
Update.
Last September I rode 350km which was too close to 400 for comfort. I’ve given myself a good talking to.
Thank you.

Top Bottom